Non-white female chair steps down with immediate effect as ECB postpone plan to tackle racism
The ECB has been forced to postpone the publication of its plan to improve diversity in English cricket, amid the abrupt departure on Thursday of one of the only two non-white chairs of a first-class county.
Mehmooda Duke, who was also the only female in such a high-profile county role, and one of only three female board members from black or minority ethnic backgrounds, had been due to step down at the end of March to take up a new role as High Sheriff for Leicestershire.
However, she has now chosen to depart with immediate effect, stating that “cricket had been torn apart by recent events”, and calling for “fresh leadership at national level” – a choice of words that places further pressure on the ECB chief executive Tom Harrison, following his unconvincing display at last week’s parliamentary hearing into the Azeem Rafiq racism scandal.
Leicestershire’s vice-chairman, Jonathan Duckworth, is set to become interim chairman until a long-term replacement is identified.
“Cricket has been torn apart by recent events and I am deeply saddened by the hurt felt by individuals within our game,” Duke said in her statement. “With fresh leadership at national level and with a determination to learn from the recent past and move forward, I hope that racism and discrimination will be expunged from the dressing rooms, the fields, and the game as a whole, allowing us to celebrate the diversity which makes cricket and sport in this country so great.
“I wish all of my colleagues on the board and across the network, the players, staff and the community teams, all the very best for the future,” she added. “I thank the Members, supporters, and sponsors for their unwavering loyalty to the club and especially during some difficult times.”
The news emerged as the ECB were forced to concede that their response to cricket’s racism allegations, drafted at an all-stakeholders meeting at the Kia Oval last Friday, was “not quite there”, having originally been expected to be finalised by Wednesday.
Once the final wording of the plan has been agreed, it is expected to include a commitment to a 30 percent boardroom representation for women and “representative ethnicities” at all first-class and national county clubs, as well as ongoing diversity training for all players, staff, umpires and coaches.
Meanwhile, Azeem Rafiq has met with a Holocaust survivor at the Jewish Museum in London, in the wake of his apology for anti-Semitic messages that he sent as a 19-year-old in 2011.
Rafiq, who is facing an ECB investigation for his comments – which included the suggestion that the Derbyshire player, Atif Sheikh, had been unwilling to spend money on a meal out because “he is a jew” – met with Ruth Barnett, who escaped Nazi Germany in 1939, as well as Steve Silverman from the Campaign Against Antisemitism.
In his apology, Rafiq had said: “I am incredibly angry at myself and I apologise to the Jewish community and everyone who is rightly offended by this,” and has committed himself to education on the issue of anti-Semitism.
BBL11 2021-22 – Bowling attack gives Melbourne Renegades hope of revival
The batting remains questionable and they will be looking for the youngsters to develop
Captain Nic Maddinson
Coach David Saker
Cameron Boyce, Zak Evans, Aaron Finch, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Sam Harper, Marcus Harris, Mackenzie Harvey, Josh Lalor, Shaun Marsh, Jono Merlo (replacement player), James Pattinson, Mitch Perry, Jack Prestwidge, Kane Richardson, James Seymour (replacement player), Will Sutherland, Nic Maddinson, Reece Topley (Eng), Unmukt Chand (Ind), Mohammad Nabi (Afg), Zahir Khan (Afg)
In Nic Maddinson, Jono Merlo, James Seymour, Reece Topley, Unmukt Chand, Zahir Khan
Out Beau Webster, Peter Hazloglou, Jon Holland, Benny, Howell, Noor Ahmed, Imran Tahir, Imad Wasim
It was another disastrous season for the Renegades finishing last for the second straight year. They won their first match and then lost seven in a row. Their batting was abysmal, bowled out for less than 90 on three occasions and 111 in another match against Adelaide. The bowling was nowhere near as effective as season’s past and they struggled to find a consistent unit as they mixed and matched their overseas players. There was one bright spot as they produced a brilliant chasing win over Melbourne Stars late in the season. Mackenzie Harvey starred smashing 47 not out from 21 balls to give a glimpse into the future.
Renegades have been severely impacted by both Australia selection and injury. Nic Maddinson‘s selection in the Australia A side to face England Lions means the new Renegades captain won’t get a chance to lead his new club until their fourth game at the earliest. Marcus Harris is set to miss most of the season due to Test duty. Aaron Finch is in doubt for the early games due to his ongoing knee issue while Shaun Marsh is set to miss at least half the tournament due to a calf tear. England does have tour of West Indies in the new year and Afghanistan is scheduled to visit Bangladesh but it is unknown if the likes of Reece Topley, Mohammad Nabi or Zahir Khan will need to leave the BBL early.
Reece Topley is an important recruit for Renegades and has a chance to make a serious statement to England selectors ahead of the T20 World Cup in Australia next year. Fellow Englishman Harry Gurney was a key part of Renegades’ run to the title three years ago and Topley has a similar opportunity to cause havoc on the inconsistent home surface of Marvel Stadium.
Key stat (Gaurav Sundararaman)
Renegades were the worst bowling unit in the previous BBL edition. Their bowling economy rate of 8.61 was the highest among all teams and their death bowling economy was 11.24. If Renegades want to play finals, this is an area they need to focus on. Their attack certainly looks stronger this season
Alex Malcolm is an Associate Editor at ESPNcricinfo
Chris Gayle farewell on the cards with Jamaica set to host West Indies-Ireland series
The series will comprise three ODIs and a one-off T20I, all at Sabina Park
While Gayle will not be part of the ODI squad, with the series counting towards 2023 World Cup qualification through the Super League, the one-off fixture at Sabina Park could be used as his farewell game. ESPNcricinfo understands that a decision has yet to be made on Gayle’s inclusion but that the issue will be up for discussion at the next meeting of CWI’s board of directors later this month.
“It’s whether collectively we all feel that it’s appropriate for him to have one last game at home to say farewell in a one-off game,” Johnny Grave, CWI’s chief executive, told the Mason and Guest radio show in Barbados last month. “That Ireland series would represent that opportunity.
“It would certainly be appropriate, as far as I can see it, to treat our players and give them the opportunity to bow out – especially players like Chris who have had unbelievable careers and won trophies for the West Indies.”
“We are pleased to be returning to the Caribbean where we have so many great memories,” Richard Holdsworth, Cricket Ireland’s performance director, said. “The World Cup Super League is a crucial set of fixtures for Ireland as we attempt to qualify for the next Cricket World Cup, and – if the series in 2020 is anything to go by – we look forward to a highly competitive series in January.”
Matt Roller is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. @mroller98
Bangladesh tour of NZ BCB approves Shakib Al Hasan’s request to skip New Zealand tour
Nazmul Hassan says BCB has no problem with players wanting a break, but says it should happen via official channels
“We have accepted his request,” Hassan said. “We have been saying this for a long time that we have no objection if a player wants to take a break or rest, but it has to be informed officially. The thing is, we want to be informed about such a decision in advance as it is difficult for us if it is informed suddenly. From January, if anyone wants a break, he has to inform us in advance so that we can prepare alternatives.”
This is the third time in 2021 that Shakib has skipped a tour for Bangladesh. He opted out of the white-ball tour of New Zealand in March due to paternity leave before missing the two Tests against Sri Lanka in April to play in the IPL.
Hassan felt Shakib should have asked for the leave officially, rather than informing them verbally.
“This [the confusion] is not embarrassing, to be honest. We simply didn’t know about it, officially,” Hassan said. “The thing is, these things have always happened unofficially. Now, to avoid confusion, we are emphasising that these matters should be official.”
Bangladesh’s tour of New Zealand includes two Tests, part of the World Test Championship, beginning on New Year’s Day. The team will leave on December 9 to complete quarantine and then play practice matches.
New Orleans Saints WR Deonte Harris suspended three games; DE Cameron Jordan put on COVID-19 list
FA Cup draw in full: Man Utd get Gerrard's Aston Villa as minnows land dream Chelsea tie
Green Bay Packers quarterback Jordan Love placed on COVID-19 list
Chicago Bulls’ DeMar DeRozan enters health and safety protocols
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta furious with players for failing to 'execute' plans vs Everton
Las Vegas Raiders RB Kenyan Drake to have season-ending ankle surgery
Gary Neville accuses Ben Godfrey of meaning ugly stamp on Arsenal ace Takehiro Tomiyasu
Los Angeles Chargers put leading WR Keenan Allen on reserve/COVID-19 list
Arsenal's transfer plan should be clear as Arteta makes Aubameyang stance in Everton loss
Cleveland Browns star defensive end Bill Glass dead at 86
NFL3 days ago
Don’t call ’em trick plays
NFL6 days ago
NFL Power Rankings Week 13
Soccer2 days ago
Jurgen Klopp's simple five-word message to Divock Origi before last-gasp Liverpool winner
NFL4 days ago
NFL to air first public service announcement on responsible betting during Dallas Cowboys vs. New Orleans Saints game
NFL6 days ago
Mike Tomlin promises changes for Pittsburgh Steelers after lopsided loss to Cincinnati Bengals
MLB4 days ago
Everything you need to know about MLB’s lockout
MLB6 days ago
Chicago White Sox, valued veteran Leury Garcia agree to terms on new contract, source says
MLB4 days ago
Boston Red Sox send Hunter Renfroe to Milwaukee Brewers for Jackie Bradley Jr., two prospects