Connect with us

Soccer

Kevin de Bruyne Covid-19, coronavirus, Eddie Howe Newcastle, latest, updates, news

Published

on

Eddie Howe will miss what should have been his first match as Newcastle manager, at home to Brentford in the Premier League on Saturday, after testing positive for Covid-19.

Meanwhile a Manchester City superstar has also tested positive for the virus and will miss this weekend’s Premier League clash with Everton as well as a massive Champions League battle.

Watch the world’s best footballers every week with beIN SPORTS on Kayo. LIVE coverage from LaLiga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, Carabao Cup, EFL & SPFL. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial >

Defending champs topple the Roar | 01:19

Failing Utd wasting Ronaldo gamble; shock bolter stakes CL claim: Early PL Report Card

“I’m very disappointed that I won’t be there with you all at St James’ Park tomorrow, but it is incredibly important that I follow the guidelines and self-isolate,” Howe told Newcastle’s website on Friday.

“I’d like to reassure everyone that I feel fine, and while this is unwelcome news for me, I know it hasn’t derailed our preparations for what is an important game.”

The 43-year-old former Bournemouth manager added: “I have been, and will be, in constant communication with my coaching team and the players, both tomorrow and during the week, and I know they will be giving everything on and off the pitch.” Assistant coaches Jason Tindall and Graeme Jones will lead Newcastle in Howe’s absence, the club said.

Newcastle are still searching for a first Premier League win of the season but there is renewed optimism at the northeast side following a recent Saudi-led takeover.

Howe was hired earlier this month as Newcastle’s wealthy new owners seek to transform their club after years in the wilderness and he is under huge pressure to deliver at a club who last won a major trophy back in 1969.

Newcastle have collected just five of the first 33 points on offer in the Premier League this season and are five points from safety.

China and Australia go head-to-head | 00:39

CITY STAR RULED OUT OF KEY CL CLASH

Kevin De Bruyne has been ruled out of Manchester City’s clash with Everton and next week’s Champions League showdown against Paris Saint-Germain after testing positive for coronavirus, manager Pep Guardiola said on Friday.

The City boss said De Bruyne was isolating for 10 days after receiving the positive test during the recent international break.

After facing Everton in domestic action, City, who are three points behind Premier League leaders Chelsea, host PSG in a crucial fixture on Wednesday.

City are one point above second-placed PSG in Group A with two games left as they look to seal a place in the last 16.

“Kevin got positive from Covid. He will be 10 days isolated,” Guardiola said on Friday. “Two days ago, he told me that he was positive. He is here (in Manchester).

“Forget about the fitness, the momentum, he has to recover well. The human being is more important than anything else.”

It is the latest blow for De Bruyne, who has struggled to reach peak form for City this season.

He was hauled off after an hour of City’s defeat against Crystal Palace in October and started on the bench for the following game against Club Brugge.

Aussies cop tough VAR decision | 01:05

Source link

Soccer

Brendan Rodgers lifts lid on phone call with Ralf Rangnick before he took Man Utd job

Published

on

RALF RANGNICK was confirmed as Manchester United’s new interim manager on Monday morning.

Source link

Continue Reading

Soccer

Rio Ferdinand and Jamie Carragher embroiled in ugly spat over Man Utd comments

Published

on

RIO FERDINAND and Jamie Carragher have gone in on each other on Twitter.

Source link

Continue Reading

Soccer

Ralf Rangnick warned Man Utd players may not respect him after appointment

Published

on

RALF RANGNICK has been warned over potential issues he will face as Manchester United boss.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending