Connect with us

Cricket

Recent Match Report – Victoria vs NSW 8th Match 2021/22

Published

on


Report

Daniel Hughes half-century the only shining light for NSW on a rain-affected second day

New South Wales 9 for 139 (Hughes 59, Boland 3-33) trail Victoria 9 for 313 dec (Maddinson 128, Seymour 105, Hatcher 4-86) by 174 runs

New South Wales lost 4 for 4 in a disastrous final-session collapse to give Victoria a huge first innings ascendency on a rain-affected second day at the MCG.

Victoria lost Jon Holland in the opening session to concussion following a heavy blow to head while batting. Holland was replaced by concussion substitute Wil Parker and will take no further part in the game.
But the home side bowled superbly with Scott Boland, James Pattinson, Will Sutherland and Mitchell Perry all playing a part in New South Wales’ collapse late on day two as they slumped from 3 for 98 to 9 for 132 in the space of 16 overs before a heavy downpour ended play with an hour remaining.
Daniel Hughes had played very nicely in the face of sustained pressure from the Victoria quicks to reach 59. He scarcely made an error in his 132-ball stay. But his first error was a huge one after he played a ball into the gully region and started to run before Sutherland made a diving save. A mix-up ensued with Hughes stuck mid-pitch ball-watching as Jack Edwards responded to his call and Sutherland’s throw to Pattinson beat Hughes’ desperate dive.

Pattinson and Sutherland then ripped through the middle order, rewarded for a fuller length on an MCG surface with a lot of bounce, carry and sideways movement. Edwards, Lachlan Hearne and Sean Abbott all fell to outside edges as the Blues lost 4 for 4 in 15 balls. Boland returned to pick up some reward for his outstanding work earlier in the day. He finished the day with 3 for 33 having made the first breakthrough of the innings. Trent Copeland came out to bat at No. 11 with a runner after injuring his lower calf on day one and struck a powerful blow down the ground. He will start day three alongside Peter Nevill in the hopes of limiting the Blues’ first-innings deficit.

Earlier, Victoria’s tail lasted just 12 overs after Liam Hatcher and Nathan Lyon wrapped up the innings. Hatcher finished with career-best figures of 4 for 86 and also delivered the bouncer that ended Holland’s match. He was hit flush on the helmet attempting a pull and was immediately concussed. Victoria declared and Holland was ruled out of the game.

“He’s gone home, a bit of a headache,” Boland said post play. “So we wish him well and hopefully he comes good in a couple of days.”

Alex Malcolm is an Associate Editor at ESPNcricinfo



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Cricket

Mithali Raj – We have had ‘good preparation’ for 2022 World Cup by playing SA, England, Australia this year

Published

on


News

“We are getting to play in New Zealand before World Cup which is also good,” she says

India Women are scheduled to play only one ODI series – against New Zealand – before the World Cup early next year but captain Mithali Raj feels the team has had “good preparation” so far in 2021.
This year, India hosted South Africa for five ODIs before playing a three-match series in England and Australia each. They lost all three series but made Australia, the No. 1 team, work really hard for their 2-1 win and also ended their 26-match winning streak in the third ODI there.

India will play World Cup hosts New Zealand for five ODIs before the World Cup in March-April.

“We have played three best teams since March and it has given us good preparation,” Raj said after a partnership between KFC and Indian Deaf Cricket Association in Delhi on Wednesday. “Players have played domestic cricket and also in the Women’s Big Bash so they are getting game time which is the most important thing.

“We are getting to play in New Zealand before World Cup which is also good.”

India, who were unable to post 250-plus scores regularly earlier, did that twice in the Australia series and chased down 265 in the final ODI.

“When you play against a strong team in its backyard you try to give your best,” Raj said. “Though we lost the series, the matches were very close. We scored 270 (274) and chased 270-odd, if we can do that consistently we will be among the best sides in world cricket.”

India’s middle-order batting needs improvement but Raj said all departments must fire as a unit if they are to win the World Cup.

“We bat as a unit so you can’t pinpoint one area,” she said. “There are times when the top order failed and the others performed. As a unit if we look to post a good total then it will help. If we focus on one area like middle order then it becomes too much of a burden for that particular slot.”

India finished runners-up in the 2017 World Cup in England when not many expected them to but expectations will be higher this time.

“There were not enough expectations back then,” Raj said. “Now in 2021, players have got experience and got a lot of exposure with the T20 leagues. Overall we have young players but they have got enough exposure. It is just of matter of gelling well as a team.

“Every match will be different there. The quicker we read our opponents the better it will be for us.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

The Ashes 2021-22 – Michael Vaughan stood down from BT Sport Ashes coverage after Azeem Rafiq allegations

Published

on


News

Channel to adopt a “hybrid” approach with Vaughan’s stints on Fox Sports to be overlaid

Michael Vaughan, the former England captain, will not be heard by UK audiences during this winter’s Ashes in Australia, after BT Sport followed the BBC’s decision to remove him from their TV coverage of the series.

Vaughan, 47, was last week stood down from BBC Test Match Special’s coverage for “editorial” reasons, following allegations from Azeem Rafiq, the former Yorkshire cricketer, that he had said “there are too many of you lot” following the selection of four players of Asian heritage in a county fixture in 2009.

Vaughan, who denies the allegations, apologised last week in an interview on BBC Breakfast for the “hurt” caused to Rafiq during his time as a player at Yorkshire, and will still be involved in this winter’s Ashes coverage through his commentary role with Fox Sports, the Australian host broadcaster.

However, BT Sport – who are due to take the Fox Sports feed after choosing not to send a bespoke commentary team to Australia – announced on Tuesday that they will be taking a “hybrid” approach to their coverage, with Vaughan’s on-air stints to be overlaid with studio analysis.

“As a result of Covid and travel restrictions BT Sport had made the decision to take our commentary feed from the Australian host broadcaster,” the channel said in a statement. “The recent report presented to UK Parliament uncovering institutional racism within cricket and specifically Yorkshire County Cricket Club is extremely disappointing and a concern for all.

“Given these recent events and the controversy with the situation we have taken the decision that including Michael Vaughan within our Ashes coverage would not be editorially appropriate or fit with BT Sport’s values. We are still finalising plans but we are assessing the option of taking a hybrid approach, using Fox commentary where possible with the aim of putting our own commentary team in place if necessary.”

Vaughan’s troubled build-up to the series continued on Tuesday, when he announced on Twitter that his arrival in Australia had been delayed by a week due to a positive Covid test. “[It] is frustrating,” he wrote. “But at least I’ll avoid the rain in Brisbane for a few days!”

However, his hopes of being retained by the BBC after the Ashes have received a boost, after the corporation confirmed that they had been in “regular contact” with Vaughan since his suspension, and had held “positive conversations with him in recent days”.

“Our contributors are required to talk about relevant issues, so Michael’s involvement in a story of such significance means it’s not possible for him to be part of our Ashes coverage or wider cricket coverage at the moment,” the statement added. “We’re pleased with how our conversations are going and expect to work with Michael again in the future. He remains on contract to the BBC.”

The BBC’s stance was criticised this week by his former England team-mate Monty Panesar, who wrote in a column in the Daily Telegraph: “This feels deeply unethical — a classic case of someone being tried and convicted without any form of due process being undertaken.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

The Hundred 2022 – ECB doubles Women’s Hundred salaries for 2022 edition

Published

on


News

Payment bands for female players next season will range from £7500 to £31,250

The ECB has more than doubled salaries for female players in the second season of the Hundred after the inaugural women’s competition broke records for attendances and TV viewing figures.

Women’s salaries ranged from £3600 (US$4800) to £15,000 (US$20,000) – with a captaincy bonus of £1200 (US$1600) – in the 2021 edition of the Hundred and while prize money for the men’s and women’s tournaments was equal, there was a stark disparity in wages with the lowest-paid male players earning 60% more than the highest-paid female players.

Tom Harrison, the ECB’s chief executive, had pledged after the tournament’s final was watched by a record-breaking 17,116 crowd that salaries would rise as a result of the success of the women’s competition, while confirming that the double-header model would continue to be used in 2022.

ESPNcricinfo can reveal that women’s salaries will increase by 108% across the board for 2022, ranging from £7500 (US$10,000) to £31,250 (US$41,500), with a £2500 (US$3300) captaincy bonus. Teams will have a £250,000 (US$330,000) purse to split across their 15-player squads, up from £120,000 (US$160,000), with the ECB’s total outlay on women’s salaries jumping from £960,000 (US$1.28m) to £2 million (US$2.66m).

“Salaries in the Hundred women’s competition have more than doubled ahead of the second year of the competition,” a spokesperson for the Hundred said. “We’re proud to be significantly increasing our investment in women’s salaries, we believe this is a step in the right direction as we grow the women’s game and are committed to our ongoing support of the Hundred women’s competition.”

The salary hike further increases the chances of the world’s best women’s cricketers appearing in the 2022 edition of the Hundred, after a raft of Australia internationals withdrew shortly before its first season due to quarantine requirements and restrictions on international travel. With the Commonwealth Games due to be staged at Edgbaston from July 29 to August 7, many leading internationals are likely to remain in the country for the Hundred.

The increase is particularly significant for the lowest-paid players in the tournament, several of whom had to take annual leave or ask for time off from their employers during the inaugural season. Kate Cross, the England seamer, told the Telegraph last year that “until those lower brackets are topped up, you could have some girls dropping out because ultimately it’s not worth their while with work”, but an increase in the bottom salary band to £7500 for a month’s work will make playing in the Hundred more financially viable.

The ECB has also confirmed that men’s salaries will increase by 25% and return to their pre-Covid levels, as ESPNcricinfo revealed on Wednesday.

Matt Roller is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. @mroller98



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending