Connect with us

Motorsport

Daniel Ricciardo adopts hilarious American accent ahead of United States Grand Prix

Published

on

Daniel Ricciardo is absolutely loving his time in America ahead of the United States Grand Prix on Monday morning (AEDT).

The Australian wowed fans at the Circuit of the Americas (COTA) in Texas when he showed up for the first day of the event sporting an over-the-top cowboy outfit.

Stream Every Practice, Qualifier & Race of the 2021 FIA Formula One World Championship™ Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial >

The 32-year-old showed off a black shirt with all the accessories you could expect from a Hollywood cowboy costume.

The ensemble included black jeans and a leather belt with some intricate embroidery.

The Akubra hat and confronting handlebar moustache look tied it all together.

And to complete his transformation into an American cowboy, Ricciardo has been determined to answer questions in interviews in a thick Texan accent.

When asked how excited he was to be back racing the US Grand Prix in Austin after the 2020 race was cancelled due to the pandemic, Ricciardo tried to do his best impression of Ricky Bobby, the NASCAR driver played by Will Ferrell in the 2006 movie Talladega Nights.

“Aw hell,” he began in a questionable Texan drawl. “Boogedy. Boogedy, boogedy.

“Well I’m overwhelmed with excitement because it’s been a long time since we’ve been here.”

Daniel Ricciardo is loving life in Texas. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

Championship leader Max Verstappen was sharing the press conference and cringed at his former Red Bull teammate’s American impersonation.

“Oh my god,” Verstappen said.

But Ricciardo continued: “Max (Verstappen) is about to cry right next to me but by jingo, I really can’t contain my excitement more.”

He then briefly switched back to his Australian accent and said through laughter: “I don’t even know what the question was.

“It’s been 24 long and sad months without Austin in my life.”

Ricciardo’s commitment to adopting his alter ego as a Texan cowboy continued at an interview in the F1 paddock, which he successfully completed entirely in an American accent.

When asked if he thought he had a decent chance of performing well at the circuit, Ricciardo went full Texan.

“One does,” he replied with a cheeky smile.

“I think we can be a hell of a force because well, 2019 those papaya cars gave me a real headache in the race.

“I saw both of them in my mirrors for a lot of the time and I do believe their car is a step or two steps better than it was 24 months ago.

“So I’m now in that papaya car, the McLaren as we know it, and I feel joy in my heart to be able to drive it at force around the COTA circuit.”

Ricciardo has been making headlines all week as he toured the US ahead of this weekend’s Grand Prix.

He revealed this week he previously had to reject legendary NFL quarterback Tom Brady, to instead support the Buffalo Bills — despite meeting the record seven-time Super Bowl champion in recent years.

Ricciardo is also set to get behind the wheel of an iconic NASCAR touring car this weekend — the benefit of winning a bet with team boss Zak Brown.

Ricciardo had bet that he would get to drive Dale Earnhardt Sr’s 1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo wheels if he won a Grand Prix in his first season since joining McLaren from Renault.

He did exactly that at the Italian Grand Prix.

Now Ricciardo will get his chance to drive the car as part of an exhibition this weekend.

“Well, hell, boogedy, I’m very excited Earnhardt was an absolute hero of mine,” he said.

“To be able to drive the 84 Earnhardt car. I believe he won five races in that car.

“It’s special. The livery is amazing. The Wrangler jeans, the blue and yellow, the big three on it.”

“So it’s real pinch me kind of moment right now.”

Ricciardo briefly broke character and admitted his Texan accent is a work in progress.

“I haven’t quite nailed the “wow” in American but I’m getting there,” he said.

Source link

Motorsport

F1 news 2022, Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen, 2021 title, appeal, decision date, new season calendar, full race schedule

Published

on

Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton must wait two more months for motorsport chiefs to reveal the results of their inquiry into the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix where the Dutchman clinched the 2021 world title.

Governing body, the FIA, said Thursday that the outcome will not be revealed until March 18, just two days before the 2022 season gets underway in Bahrain.

Hamilton was poised to capture a record-breaking eighth world title at the Abu Dhabi finale in December before a controversial safety car restart allowed Verstappen to pass the British driver on the last lap.

Stream the Kayo Mini replay of the F1 World Championship finale FREE on Kayo Freebies. No credit card required. Join Kayo Freebies now & start streaming in minutes.

(Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)
(Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

The incident has led to speculation that a disillusioned 37-year-old Hamilton may be prepared to turn his back on Formula One.

On Thursday, the FIA said that team chiefs as well as representatives of the ruling body will meet on January 19 to discuss the use of the safety car.

Drivers will also be brought into the discussions, it said.

“The outcome of the detailed analysis will be presented to the F1 Commission in February, and final decisions will be announced at the World Motor Sport Council in Bahrain on 18 March,” added the FIA.

Source link

Continue Reading

Motorsport

F1 news 2022, Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, retirement, quit, latest, new contract, 2022 calendar, season

Published

on

Lewis Hamilton’s F1 future still remains unclear with just 69 days to go until the 2022 season begins as the FIA’s investigation into the how the 2021 season ended now thought to be key in his decision making.

The FIA has pledged to investigate the controversial circumstances around the final lap of the 2021 season which saw Max Verstappen pip Hamilton to the world title in Abu Dhabi.

Mercedes withdrew their appeal against the result after the FIA announced they would launch an investigation into the events surrounding the safety car procedures.

Hamilton made a cryptic reference to his future in his post-race interview with former teammate Jenson Button.

Stream the Kayo Mini replay of the F1 World Championship finale FREE on Kayo Freebies. No credit card required. Join Kayo Freebies now & start streaming in minutes.

(Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)
(Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

“We gave it everything and never gave up and that’s the most important thing. We’ll see about next year,” he said.

This pledge is now reportedly crucial in whether Hamilton decides to get into a Formula 1 car again, according to Sky Sports, and the delay in its findings are seemingly impacting the delay in the seven-time world champion’s decision.

Sky Sports News’ Craig Slater reported: “With 69 days to go until the first Grand Prix in Bahrain, it is still unclear whether Lewis Hamilton will be on the grid.

“In terms of Hamilton coming back to Formula 1, having the appetite to do so and getting over the ‘disillusionment’ that his team boss Toto Wolff said he felt after Abu Dhabi, the onus is on the FIA to deliver on the pledge they made before Christmas to investigate the happenings on that final lap and to come up with some findings.

“It is understood that Mercedes want to see something tangible. It’s been put to me like this: the longer this drags on then the worse the Lewis Hamilton situation is, and that is from a senior source.”

The 23-race 2022 season begins on March 18 with winter testing for the all-new generation of cars beginning on February 23.

Source link

Continue Reading

Motorsport

rule changes, Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, future, retirement, title, FIA, Michael Masi

Published

on

Newly-elected FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem is yet to hear back from Lewis Hamilton after the Mercedes gun boycotted the end-of-season trophy gala.

The aftermath of the F1’s controversial Abu Dhabi finale is far from over, with Hamilton still not “100 per cent” according to Ben Sulayem.

Speaking to reporters at a press conference at the Dakar Rally, Ben Sulayem was empathetic of Hamilton’s situation.

Catch every moment of The Ashes live and ad-break free during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.

INSANE Horner reaction to title moments | 01:35

He has previously said there will be “no forgiveness” if Hamilton is found to have breached rules in skipping the gala and maintained that stance on Monday.

“I sent him messages,” Ben Sulayem said.

“I think he’s not ready now to be functioning 100 per cent. You don’t blame him. I understand his position, being a driver – of course he’s on a different level.

“But also the rule is there. For me it’s not particular, a driver or a certain team. It is in general, there are rules that we have to respect, and the integrity of the FIA, we have to respect. And I cannot judge anyone unless I get the correct facts.

“I feel that, of course, not being present at the gala dinner, it’s something that the team and Lewis knew about it. But at the end of the day, you are human also. The stress and the pressure has been there.”

The King is Crowned! | 00:34

Hamilton’s silence has also extended to questions about whether he will race on next year, with Mercedes boss Toto Wolff saying the Brit will never get over the Abu Dhabi heartbreak.

Ben Sulayem responded to queries about Hamilton’s future with a question of his own.

“I’ll ask your question: did Lewis declare that he’s not going to race?” he said.

“No. Exactly. Being a driver, you declare yourself, you don’t let the rumours [talk].

“I’m confident that Lewis [will be back]. Lewis is a big part of motorsport, and of course of Formula 1, the new era [can add to] Lewis’ wins and achievements, and also Verstappen is there.”

While Hamilton looks set to return, it does not mean the F1 cannot ignore what happened at Abu Dhabi.

The FIA, its governing body, is investigating the decisions made by race director Michael Masi in light of the Nicholas Latifi crash, centred around the deployment of the safety car.

Ben Sulayem said the FIA’s focus is on introducing “proactive” measures instead of always being “reactive’ to such issues.

Huge crash closes gap in title race | 01:06

“I am going to study the case of what happened in Abu Dhabi, and a decision will be taken how to go forward without any pressure from anyone,” Ben Sulayem said.

“The integrity of the FIA, it is my job and duty to protect it, but it doesn’t mean that we do not look into our regulations, and if there is any [need for] improvement, we will [make changes].

“I said in my first press conference, this is not the book of God. This is written by humans. It can be improved and changed by humans. So that’s it.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending