Connect with us

Cricket

England in Australia 2021-22 – Dom Sibley withdraws from Lions tour, Harry Brook steps up

Published

on


News

Opener pulls out to work on technique after losing Test place

Dom Sibley has chosen to withdraw from this winter’s Lions tour to Australia, in the wake of his omission from the main Ashes tour party, with Yorkshire’s rising star Harry Brook taking his place in the 14-man squad.

Sibley finished the season as a double trophy winner, following Warwickshire’s triumphs in the County Championship and the Bob Willis Trophy, but was a notable omission for the Ashes squad, which is due to depart for Australia on November 4, ahead of the opening Test at Brisbane on December 8.

England preferred instead to retain Haseeb Hameed as Rory Burns’ nominal partner, following his recall during the India series, with Zak Crawley also returning as a top-order candidate despite a solitary half-century in 14 innings since his 267 against Pakistan last year.

With Rob Yates, Sibley’s Warwickshire opening partner, also included in the Lions party, Sibley has chosen to sit this winter out and instead concentrate on his technique, after a notable struggle for fluency during the English Test season.

He made 356 runs at 19.77 in ten Tests in 2021, and despite a trio of gutsy half-centuries, including one apiece in Sri Lanka and India, and a match-saving 60 not out against New Zealand in the first Test at Lord’s, his struggles to rotate the strike became a mounting concern for the management as he was dropped after England’s defeat against India, also at Lord’s.

In a statement, the ECB said that Sibley’s withdrawal had come “after much thought and consideration”. “Sibley has decided to spend the winter working on his batting at home in a bid to regain England selection,” the statement added.

Brook’s elevation caps an impressive year for one of England’s most promising young batters. He was named as the winner of two prestigious Young Player awards, from the PCA and the Cricket Writers’ Club respectively, after starring across formats for Yorkshire, as well as for Northern Superchargers in the inaugural season of the Hundred.

Brook, 22, made more runs across the T20 Blast and the Hundred than any other English player, averaging 61.36 and striking at 150.33 from the middle order; he came into the season with a first-class average a shade under 25 but finished it as Yorkshire’s second-highest run-scorer in the County Championship.

“I wrote a few things down at the start of the season – a few aims for the year, what runs I wanted to get in different formats,” Brook told ESPNcricinfo last month. “I got all them targets so I was very happy with it. I do it every season really, but I think this is the first year I’ve actually hit them goals. It’s just trying to know what a good season is before actually starting it. I think it’s nice to set goals and if you smash them, it’s a really good feeling.”

The Lions party will depart for Australia alongside the Test specialists on November 4, and the two parties will be in camp together in the lead-up to the Ashes.

A chance for the Lions players to impress will come in two intra-squad matches (1 x 3-day and 1 x 4-day matches) in Queensland. They will also take on Australia A in a four-day match, although the dates and venues are still to be confirmed. The party will return home on December 16.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Cricket

SJN report – Another delay as CSA ombudsman asks for week’s extension

Published

on


News

“We will have a board meeting soon after we receive the report and then we will release it publicly,” CSA acting CEO Pholetsi Moseki

CSA’s Social Justice and Nation-Building (SJN) report will be delivered to the organisation a week later than scheduled, with the ombudsman, Dumisa Ntsebeza, requesting an extension to the revised November 30 deadline. The report will now be sent to the board on December 6.

Pholetsi Moseki, the CSA acting chief executive, confirmed to ESPNcricinfo that the report would be made public after the board has spent time deliberating on its contents: “We will have a board meeting soon after we receive the report and then we will release it publicly.”

The report will contain recommendations made by Ntsebeza on issues relating to discrimination in South African cricket, and is expected to cover issues around the culture in the national teams, selection, match fees, and the grassroots.

CSA is not obligated to implement any of Ntsebeza’s suggestions, but is likely to act on at least some of them.

This is the second time the report has been delayed after it was initially expected to be completed by September 30. The deadline had to be extended after several parties that were implicated in the first phase of testimonies between July 5 and August 6 requested for time to compile their replies, which was granted.
The second phase of testimonies was held in October and included responses by current head coach Mark Boucher, director of cricket Graeme Smith, and former men’s captain AB de Villiers. All three submitted written affidavits and did not appear before the SJN to give oral evidence, and only Boucher’s statement has been made public so far.
Although Ntsebeza had previously indicated that the process could do with more time, it has already run for most of 2021 after the first call for submissions was put out at the end of April. It is believed that CSA had budgeted Rand 5 million (US$ 350,000 approx) for the project but the amount has gone up because of the extensions. The costs have come at a time when CSA is waiting to see if its coffers will be filled by an India tour, scheduled to begin in mid-December but in doubt because of the discovery of a new Covid-19 variant in southern Africa.

South Africa’s men’s team is also due to play New Zealand (away) and Bangladesh (at home) this summer, while the women’s team is scheduled to host West Indies before the Women’s World Cup.

Last week, CSA confirmed that all national teams would continue to take a knee before each match this season to show solidarity with the fight against racism.



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

Manchester United owners acquire team in UAE T20 League

Published

on


News

After failed bids to acquire an IPL franchise, the Glazers have made their first formal foray into cricket

Manchester United Football Club’s American owner, Lancer Capital, has made its first foray into cricket by acquiring a franchise in the soon-to-be-launched UAE T20 League. The update came a week after Reliance Industries, the owner of Mumbai Indians in the IPL, also announced their investment in the league through a franchise ownership.

“I am very excited to be a part of UAE T20 at its formation,” Avram Glazer, chairman of Lancer Capital, said in a statement. “UAE T20 promises to be a world class event that will be transformative to the growth of cricket in the Emirates.”

Last month, Lancer Capitals was among the final shortlisted bidders for the two new IPL franchises, eventually losing out to RPSG Group and CVC Capital, the groups that acquired the Lucknow and Ahmedabad franchises respectively.

Out of the nine bids, Lancer Capital had posted the lowest bid at INR 4128.65 crore (US$ 551 million approx.) for the Ahmedabad franchise, and INR 4023 crore (US$ 537 million approx.) for the Lucknow franchise.

The latest investment adds to the company’s portfolio in the sporting world: the Glazer family also owns Super Bowl champions Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“I am very excited to welcome Mr. Glazer to the UAE T20 Family,” Khalid Al Zarooni, UAE T20 League chairman, said. “To have a partner who has invested into sports properties with a long term investment perspective is a testament to the strength of the UAE T20 League’s Business Model and its value proposition to its stakeholders and an ode to the UAE as the destination of choice for global sports events.”

The owners of the Knight Riders T20 teams are also understood to be “on-board” to own one of the teams in the UAE event. Capri Global, which also made a failed bid for the two new IPL franchises, Big Bash League’s Sydney Sixers, and Kiran Kumar Grandhi, a co-owner of Delhi Capitals, are believed to be among the other interested parties.

The six-team league has been sanctioned by the Emirates Cricket Board and is looking to make room for itself in the January-February window, although its inaugural edition in 2022 is likely to be played in February-March.



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

Shaheen Shah Afridi breaks into top five in Test rankings for bowlers

Published

on


News

Latham, Karunaratne in top 10 of batting rankings; Jadeja No. 2 allrounder

Shaheen Shah Afridi has broken into the top five of the ICC Test bowling rankings for the first time following his five-for against Bangladesh in Pakistan’s eight-wicket win in the first Test in Chattogram. Afridi, who finished with a match haul of seven wickets, moved up three places to No. 5, overtaking James Anderson, Kagiso Rabada and Neil Wagner in the process.

Each of the three bowlers Afridi has overtaken will have an opportunity to make gains of their own. Wagner could have the first crack if he makes New Zealand’s XI for the second and final Test against India in Mumbai. Anderson is likely to line up for the first Ashes Test next week, while Rabada will spearhead South Africa’s pace attack during their home Tests against India later this month.

Meanwhile, Afridi’s new-ball partner Hasan Ali also moved five places to 11th, his best-ever position so far, following seven wickets in the Chattogram Test. This included figures of 5 for 51 that hastened Bangladesh’s collapse in the first innings after Liton Das and Mushfiqur Rahim put on 206 runs for the fifth wicket.
Kyle Jamieson, who impressed in his maiden outing in the subcontinent, was ranked ninth, while Tim Southee was within a point of second-placed R Ashwin following his eight-wicket match haul in Kanpur. Pat Cummins, Australia’s new Test captain, heads the list.
Among batters, Tom Latham and Dimuth Karunaratne made significant gains for their efforts in Kanpur and Galle respectively. Latham, who made 95 and 52 in New Zealand’s thrilling draw, jumped five places to No. 9, while the Sri Lankan captain was two spots higher st seven following scores of 147 and 83 in Sri Lanka’s 187-run win in the first Test.
Over in Bangladesh, the nature of Pakistan’s come-from-behind win had a few other gainers too. Abid Ali‘s 133 and 91 helped him jump 27 slots to a career-best 20th rank, one place above Mushfiqur. Among the other gainers was Bangladesh left-arm spinner Taijul Islam climbed two places to 23rd after picking up a seven-for in Pakistan’s first innings.
In the allrounders’ rankings, Ravindra Jadeja jumped one place to be ranked second, behind West Indies’ Jason Holder. Jadeja struck a defiant half-century in the first innings, while his five wickets in the match also helped him jump to 19th in the bowling chart.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending