Connect with us

Cricket

ICC T20 World Cup: No ‘major changes’ to Bangladesh line-up after Scotland defeat

Published

on


News

Bangladesh head coach wants better batting in the powerplay, with more balance between attack and defence

Bangladesh will try to have different types of batters together in the middle, and focus on having a better powerplay against Oman, according to coach Russell Domingo. This is the reaction after their six-run defeat against Scotland on Sunday, a result that puts their progress into the main draw in jeopardy, and has drawn the ire of the public and the Bangladesh Cricket Board.

Domingo however put on a sunny disposition during the press conference, brushing aside emotionally loaded questions, and focusing mainly on the cricketing part of his job.

“I am always a fan of having a left-hander and a right-hander in the wicket,” Domingo said. “We want to have different types of batters batting at the same time, not similar types of players. We have discussed it in depth. There might not be major changes, but there might be one or two tweaks in the line-up.

“As you have seen in the series against Australia and New Zealand, we have been flexible. It will depend on the situation and the bowlers that are bowling at the time.”
Domingo said that that they will make one change against Oman, which will most likely be Mohammad Naim returning in place of Soumya Sarkar. The initial swap, when Soumya replaced Naim, came as a big surprise as Naim had opened in Bangladesh’s last 17 T20Is. Soumya was picked because he offered a sixth bowling option, according to Domingo.

But Bangladesh have struggled with their opening pair regardless of whether it is Naim, Soumya or Liton Das, for the majority of the last 12 games. Domingo said that they have to approach the powerplays with greater balance in their strokeplay.

“If you get 35-45 in the first six, it allows you to launch at the backend. We have to address the powerplay a bit better now. We have made a few mistakes, played shots we shouldn’t have played, stopped playing those shots we should be playing. So we have to find the right balance between attack and defence in the first six overs,” he said.

Domingo said that Bangladesh took Scotland seriously and will take on Oman with a similar mentality too. “We didn’t take Scotland lightly. They beat Bangladesh in their last T20I encounter. There was no complacency in yesterday’s game. We have to show Oman great respect.

“They are confident. They are playing at home. They have come off a good win. But we can’t focus on them. We have to focus on our particular performance, skills and goals.”

Domingo urged his players to embrace the pressure of playing in World Cup, even if it means there’s extra scrutiny on everything that they do on and off the field.

“There’s always massive pressure in World Cups, particularly for a cricket-loving nation like Bangladesh. Every performance is scrutinised, every mistake gets magnified, so players are under pressure. But that’s why they play for their country. They have to embrace that pressure, and hopefully it brings the best out of the boys.”

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo’s Bangladesh correspondent. @isam84



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Cricket

Eyes on David Warner, but Australia's biggest challenge will be when he's gone

Published

on



After being hit by injury last season questions have been asked about whether Warner can dominate Test cricket again



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

Darren Gough set to be named as Yorkshire’s director of cricket

Published

on


News

Former Yorkshire fast bowler to be unveiled on Monday after answering call to help club

Darren Gough is set to be unveiled as Yorkshire’s new director of cricket, as the club embarks on a rebuilding process in the wake of last week’s sacking of the existing coaching and medical staff.

Gough, 51, is expected to announce the appointment on his talkSPORT radio show on Monday, as he prepares to put his media career on hold to help shore up the foundations of his former county, in the wake of Azeem Rafiq’s allegations of institutional racism and the extensive fall-out that has followed.

As one of the most popular players in Yorkshire’s history, Gough claimed 453 first-class wickets in 15 years with the club, during which time he also picked up 229 wickets in 58 Test appearances for England, before finishing his career at Essex, where he still lives.

He is seen by Lord Kamlesh Patel, the club’s new chairman, as the ideal man to help heal the deep divisions at Yorkshire, as he steps into the role vacated by Martyn Moxon on Friday – one of 16 members of the back-room staff axed in a dramatic statement of the club’s determination to put the racism scandal behind them.

That issue is unlikely to resolved without further revelations, however. The 16 players are expected to seek legal advice on Monday, after it transpired that several of their number had sent a joint letter to the Yorkshire Board in October, seen by ESPNcricinfo, outlining their deep unease at the club’s handling of the racism case, and its failure to rebut Rafiq’s extensive claims.

Gough has been involved in coaching on a consultancy basis since his retirement in 2008, including a stint with England’s Test squad in New Zealand in 2019-20, but his new role is expected to be focussed on strategy, planning, recruitment and development.



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

Aus vs Eng, Men’s Ashes, 2021-22 – Alex Carey ready if Test debut comes

Published

on


News

A lean run in the Sheffield Shield has not dented the wicketkeeper’s confidence

Despite a relatively lean Sheffield Shield season Alex Carey feels he is well placed should he get the nod to be Australia’s wicketkeeper in the opening Ashes Test at the Gabba.
Thirty-year-old Carey, who plays for South Australia, is the frontrunner to fill Tim Paine’s position ahead of the highly-regarded Josh Inglis but insisted he has yet to be given the nudge from the selectors.

Inglis, along with fellow Western Australia team-mates Mitchell Marsh and Ashton Agar, flew back to Perth on Tuesday for a pre-planned few days back home and will rejoin the squad after a short break but it has been taken as an indication of the way the selectors will fall.

Carey has made just 153 runs in eight Sheffield Shield innings this season – with single-figure scores in his last five outings – but did crack a century in the Marsh Cup before heading to Brisbane. Due to his place in the T20 World Cup squad Inglis, who shot into contention after a superb 2020-21 domestic season, has only played one first-class match this summer.

“I’ve felt in a really good place,” Carey told RSN radio. “I feel like I’m hitting the ball well and although the runs didn’t come as I would have liked in the first part of the Sheffield Shield season I think consistently over the last couple of years I’ve been pretty solid.

“It wasn’t a case which end do I hold the bat, still felt like I knew what I was doing, and to get some runs in that one-day game is great. Nice to know what I was doing is still the right thing.

“I’ve done what I can so I’ll sit back and hope for the best.”

Carey is also encouraged by the philosophy of the current selection panel – headed by George Bailey – that they are not swayed by a small sample of recent results and look at a larger picture.

“Cricket’s a game where if you miss out in one game you are judged on that and you feel like everything is coming down on you but it takes one innings to turn that around and you are in great form again,” he said. “Justin [Langer] and George have played so many games and they know what it’s like and they’ve put a lot of trust and open communication with the players.”

Overall Carey averages 34.73 in first-class cricket with five centuries. He was due to be the reserve wicketkeeper on the postponed Test tour of South Africa earlier this year and last season took the gloves for Australia A.

Other selection calls Australia need to make ahead of the opening Test are between Mitchell Starc and Jhye Richardson – with Starc expected to retain his place – and which of Travis Head and Usman Khawaja bats at No. 5.

Australia’s intrasquad match which was due to start on Wednesday has been canceled due to the continued wet weather in Brisbane with players hoping to get some centre-wicket time if the rain clears over the next couple of days.

Andrew McGlashan is a deputy editor at ESPNcricinfo



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending