Aaron Boone, who has led the New York Yankees to the postseason in each of his four seasons in the Bronx, will be returning as manager on a new three-year deal with a club option for 2025, it was announced Tuesday.
“We have a person and manager in Aaron Bone who possesses the baseball acumen and widespread respect in our clubhouse to continue to guide us forward,” Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner said in a statement. “As a team and as an organization, we must grow, evolve and improve. We need to get better. Period.
“I know Aaron fully embraces our expectations of success, and I look forward to drawing on his intelligence, instincts and leadership in pursuit of our next World Series championship.”
Boone’s job security came under scrutiny after the Yankees’ third-place finish in the AL East and loss to the rival Boston Red Sox in the AL Wild Card Game.
Overall, Boone has a 328-218 record in his four seasons as manager, but the Yankees haven’t been to the World Series since 2009 — the third-longest drought in franchise history.
The last time a Yankees manager was allowed to manage a fifth season without having won a World Series ring was 1922.
“When you are the manager of this team and you wear the N.Y. and you wear these pinstripes, it’s a heavy burden,” slugger Aaron Judge said after the team’s season ended. “But a guy like Booney, man, he wears it with pride, shows up to work every day and gets us prepared the right way, keeps us motivated and gets on guys when he needs to.
“It’s been a pleasure the past couple of years to play for him and fight for him every single day. I could spend all night giving you reasons why he should still be the manager.”
After leading the majors in runs scored from 2017-2020, the Yankees finished 19th in runs scored (711) during the 2021 season. They also had the sixth-worst strikeout rate, and there were complaints in the front office about the team’s in-season adjustments.
After the season, the team did not renew the contracts of hitting coach Marcus Thames and third-base coach Phil Nevin. The team also was not expected to bring back assistant hitting coach P.J. Pilittere, sources confirmed to ESPN.
ESPN’s Buster Olney contributed to this report.
MLB Players Association to make counteroffer to league in Monday meeting
The Major League Baseball Players Association plans to make an in-person labor proposal to the league on Monday, sources told ESPN, countering MLB’s offer last week that did little to loosen the gridlock that has gripped the sport after the league locked out the players Dec. 2.
Should the players’ offer do little to advance the negotiations that thus far haven’t yielded any substantive progress, the scheduled start to spring training in mid-February will grow that much unlikelier. And the longer discussions on a new collective-bargaining agreement last, the more they jeopardize Opening Day on March 31.
The gap between the players and league remains significant, with the union seeking major financial gains in a number of areas and owners trying to hold firm with what they currently pay in salaries. Other issues players have said remain a priority include anti-tanking measures and fixing service-time manipulation.
Any concessions players make in their offer could provide a roadmap to the negotiations. Before implementing the lockout, the league asked the union to drop three areas of discussion: earlier free agency for players, salary arbitration after two years instead of three and changes to the revenue-sharing plan. The union did not agree to the condition when presented with it Dec. 1, and the league left the bargaining table, locking out the players hours later.
Forty-three days later, the league returned to the union with an offer that included paying players with two to three years of service based on a formula, slight modifications to the draft lottery it previously had proposed and a mechanism that would reward teams with draft picks when top prospects who started on opening day rosters win awards.
The proposal did little to entice players, who after losing financial ground during the previous labor agreement want to make gains this time around.
News of the MLBPA’s expected counterproposal was first reported by The Associated Press
Robot umpires at home plate moving up to Triple-A for 2022, one step away from major league baseball
NEW YORK — Robot umpires have been given a promotion and will be just one step from the major leagues this season. Major League Baseball is expanding its automated strike zone experiment to Triple-A, the highest level of the minor leagues.
MLB’s website posted a hiring notice seeking seasonal employees to operate the Automated Ball-Strike system. MLB said it is recruiting employees to operate the system for the Albuquerque Isotopes, Charlotte Knights, El Paso Chihuahuas, Las Vegas Aviators, Oklahoma City Dodgers, Reno Aces, Round Rock Express, Sacramento River Cats, Salt Lake Bees, Sugar Land Skeeters and Tacoma Rainiers.
The independent Atlantic League became the first American professional league to let a computer call balls and strikes at its All-Star Game in July 2019 and experimented with ABS during the second half of that season. The system also was used in the Arizona Fall League for top prospects in 2019, drawing complaints of its calls on breaking balls.
There were no minor leagues in 2020 because of the pandemic, and robot umps were used last season in eight of nine ballparks at the Low-A Southeast League.
The Major League Baseball Umpires Association agreed in its labor contract that started in 2020 to cooperate and assist if commissioner Rob Manfred decides to use the system at the major league level.
“It’s hard to handicap if, when or how it might be employed at the major league level, because it is a pretty substantial difference from the way the game is called today,” Chris Marinak, MLB’s chief operations and strategy officer, said last March.
MLB said the robot umpires will be used at some spring training ballparks in Florida, will remain at Low A Southeast and could be used at non-MLB venues.
Tampa Bay Rays say split-season plan with Montreal rejected by MLB
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The Tampa Bay Rays‘ proposed plan to split the season between Florida and Montreal has been rejected by Major League Baseball.
Rays principal owner Stuart Sternberg announced the news on Thursday.
“Today’s news is flat-out deflating,” Sternberg said.
The idea of playing in both the Tampa Bay area and Montreal has been discussed over the past several years after attempts to build a new full-time ballpark locally failed.
Montreal had a big league team from 1969, when the expansion Expos began play, through 2004. The Expos moved to Washington and became the Nationals for the 2005 season.
The Rays’ lease at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida, where the team has played since its inaugural season in 1998, expires after the 2027 season.
Since Sternberg took control in October 2005, the once-struggling franchise has been a success on the field but not at the box office.
Despite reaching the World Series in 2008 and 2020, the Rays have annually ranked near the bottom in attendance. The Rays averaged about 9,500 for home games last season, 28th in the majors and ahead of only Miami and Oakland.
St. Petersburg mayor Ken Welch feels a new stadium in his city remains a possibility. Governmental officials have been working on a redevelopment plan for the Tropicana Field site.
“We are working with our county partners and city council to put together the best plan possible, which will work in conjunction with my planned evolution of the Tropicana Field master development proposals,” Welch said in a statement. “With this collaborative approach, I am confident we can partner with the Tampa Bay Rays to create a new and iconic full-time home for Major League Baseball in St. Petersburg while also achieving historic equitable economic growth.”
Sternberg said the team will definitely explore options in the Tampa Bay area.
Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel gives frustrated response to transfer question amid Blues' woes
Man Utd 'row' expected over Edinson Cavani after Marcus Rashford strikes late winner
Recent Match Report – Challengers vs Dhaka 4th Match 2021/22
Arsenal facing major Arthur Melo transfer problem as Juventus handed £33m dilemma
Brentford and Wolves players pulled off pitch as drone causes havoc
How Lee Evans moved past his devastating failed catch 10 years ago – Baltimore Ravens Blog
BCCI rejigs schedule of India vs West Indies ODIs and T20Is to avoid clash with IPL auction
Aston Villa boss Steven Gerrard lauds 'different' Everton win after taunting Toffees fans
NFL divisional round – Could cold be a factor for San Francisco 49ers vs. Green Bay Packers playoff game?
Arsenal transfer target 'wants to join' but 'nothing imminent' as talks being dragged out
Cricket5 days ago
Aus vs Eng, Men’s Ashes, 2021-22
NFL4 days ago
Calvin Ridley, Cordarrelle Patterson and many tough decisions await Atlanta Falcons – Atlanta Falcons Blog
NFL4 days ago
Jerick McKinnon gives Kansas City Chiefs something to think about at running back – Kansas City Chiefs Blog
NFL5 days ago
San Francisco 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo has ‘slightly’ sprained throwing shoulder, should be OK for Saturday vs. Green Bay Packers
NBA2 days ago
Brooklyn Nets’ Kyrie Irving fined $25,000 for directing obscene language toward fan
NFL7 days ago
NFL playoff officiating decisions – Explaining the Raiders’ out-of-bounds kickoff gaffe against the Bengals
Cricket3 days ago
Graham Thorpe under scrutiny amid reports that cigar smoking caused police intervention
NBA5 days ago
Orlando Magic first-year coach Jamahl Mosley disappointed to miss Martin Luther King Jr. Day after entering COVID-19 protocols