Connect with us

Motorsport

Daniel Ricciardo reflects on Monza win for McLaren, full interview, video, Kayo

Published

on

Daniel Ricciardo has opened up on the moment of anger that spurred him to his first Grand Prix win in more than three years.

The Australian arrived at Monza earlier this month confident he was on the verge of turning the page at McLaren, where he has endured the most difficult year of his F1 career.

In an exclusive interview with Jess Yates on Kayo ahead of the Russian Grand Prix (Friday 6.30pm AEST), Ricciardo said August’s summer break gave him the mental reset he needed — and he arrived at Monza in a good frame of mind.

Watch the full interview with Daniel Ricardo on Kayo from 4pm (AEST), Friday August 24

Ricciardo ends 1204-day drought at Monza | 05:24

Stream Every Practice, Qualifier & Race of the 2021 FIA Formula One World Championship™ Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Nonetheless, he was yet to stand on the podium in 2021, while his teammate Lando Norris — who is ‘more than 10 years his junior — had done so three times to put the pressure on.

Ricciardo knew, however, that McLaren was going to be competitive at Monza, giving him the opportunity to make a massive statement for the rest of the season.

“We hit the track Friday. I felt comfortable in the car, I felt confident, I knew the car was pretty quick,” Ricciardo recalled.

“And then I was so close to qualifying P3, which would have been massive, and I didn’t.”

Ricciardo was painfully outside the top three on Friday, falling just 0.029 short of Max Verstappen’s time, while Norris was only 0.006 seconds quicker.

For the 32-year-old, Friday’s events mirrored his season in a way that lit a fire, pushing him all the way to winning on Sunday.

“That one just ate at me,” he said of Friday qualifying. “Because it was a little bit how the year was going. Like, I’ve been there, but I haven’t been there.

“It was like a little bit of a knife in my back. That’s how I pictured it.

“So I just used that anger in a positive way and channelled it to good use and from that moment on I was … I had blinkers on and that was it. I was just ready to go, simple as that.”

From there, Ricciardo surged past Norris and Lewis Hamilton in Saturday’s Sprint Race — determining grid positions for the Sunday — to finish third. A grid penalty to winner Valtteri Bottas elevated Ricciardo to second for the main race the following day.

On the Sunday, Ricciardo was faultless, jumping Verstappen at the start before executing the perfect race to claim McLaren’s first Grand Prix win since 2012, and his first since 2018.

Reflecting on the stunning triumph, Ricciardo added: “There wasn’t a moment where I just flipped, but I certainly came out of the summer break with a bit more confidence.

“In a way I felt I had a point to prove.

“I kind of joked at some point after the race (at Monza) that I was sick of sucking. I just wanted to be fast and get results again.”

Piastri aiming to be F1 driver at Alpine | 10:14

BATHURST DREAMS… AND TINS

Meanwhile, Ricciardo doubled down on his ambitions of one day driving at Bathurst when his F1 career is over.

“There’s definitely some things I’d love to do, and Bathurst would be one of them,” he said.

“I think once the chaos of my Formula 1 career slows down it’s certainly something I’d like to entertain one day.”

Speaking of this year’s proposed event, he joked: “I mean, you’ll probably find me on the hill having a few tins if it’s the end of the season.”

Watch the full interview with Daniel Ricardo on Kayo from 4pm (AEST), Friday August 24

Source link

Motorsport

F1 news 2022, Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen, 2021 title, appeal, decision date, new season calendar, full race schedule

Published

on

Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton must wait two more months for motorsport chiefs to reveal the results of their inquiry into the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix where the Dutchman clinched the 2021 world title.

Governing body, the FIA, said Thursday that the outcome will not be revealed until March 18, just two days before the 2022 season gets underway in Bahrain.

Hamilton was poised to capture a record-breaking eighth world title at the Abu Dhabi finale in December before a controversial safety car restart allowed Verstappen to pass the British driver on the last lap.

Stream the Kayo Mini replay of the F1 World Championship finale FREE on Kayo Freebies. No credit card required. Join Kayo Freebies now & start streaming in minutes.

(Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)
(Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

The incident has led to speculation that a disillusioned 37-year-old Hamilton may be prepared to turn his back on Formula One.

On Thursday, the FIA said that team chiefs as well as representatives of the ruling body will meet on January 19 to discuss the use of the safety car.

Drivers will also be brought into the discussions, it said.

“The outcome of the detailed analysis will be presented to the F1 Commission in February, and final decisions will be announced at the World Motor Sport Council in Bahrain on 18 March,” added the FIA.

Source link

Continue Reading

Motorsport

F1 news 2022, Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, retirement, quit, latest, new contract, 2022 calendar, season

Published

on

Lewis Hamilton’s F1 future still remains unclear with just 69 days to go until the 2022 season begins as the FIA’s investigation into the how the 2021 season ended now thought to be key in his decision making.

The FIA has pledged to investigate the controversial circumstances around the final lap of the 2021 season which saw Max Verstappen pip Hamilton to the world title in Abu Dhabi.

Mercedes withdrew their appeal against the result after the FIA announced they would launch an investigation into the events surrounding the safety car procedures.

Hamilton made a cryptic reference to his future in his post-race interview with former teammate Jenson Button.

Stream the Kayo Mini replay of the F1 World Championship finale FREE on Kayo Freebies. No credit card required. Join Kayo Freebies now & start streaming in minutes.

(Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)
(Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

“We gave it everything and never gave up and that’s the most important thing. We’ll see about next year,” he said.

This pledge is now reportedly crucial in whether Hamilton decides to get into a Formula 1 car again, according to Sky Sports, and the delay in its findings are seemingly impacting the delay in the seven-time world champion’s decision.

Sky Sports News’ Craig Slater reported: “With 69 days to go until the first Grand Prix in Bahrain, it is still unclear whether Lewis Hamilton will be on the grid.

“In terms of Hamilton coming back to Formula 1, having the appetite to do so and getting over the ‘disillusionment’ that his team boss Toto Wolff said he felt after Abu Dhabi, the onus is on the FIA to deliver on the pledge they made before Christmas to investigate the happenings on that final lap and to come up with some findings.

“It is understood that Mercedes want to see something tangible. It’s been put to me like this: the longer this drags on then the worse the Lewis Hamilton situation is, and that is from a senior source.”

The 23-race 2022 season begins on March 18 with winter testing for the all-new generation of cars beginning on February 23.

Source link

Continue Reading

Motorsport

rule changes, Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, future, retirement, title, FIA, Michael Masi

Published

on

Newly-elected FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem is yet to hear back from Lewis Hamilton after the Mercedes gun boycotted the end-of-season trophy gala.

The aftermath of the F1’s controversial Abu Dhabi finale is far from over, with Hamilton still not “100 per cent” according to Ben Sulayem.

Speaking to reporters at a press conference at the Dakar Rally, Ben Sulayem was empathetic of Hamilton’s situation.

Catch every moment of The Ashes live and ad-break free during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.

INSANE Horner reaction to title moments | 01:35

He has previously said there will be “no forgiveness” if Hamilton is found to have breached rules in skipping the gala and maintained that stance on Monday.

“I sent him messages,” Ben Sulayem said.

“I think he’s not ready now to be functioning 100 per cent. You don’t blame him. I understand his position, being a driver – of course he’s on a different level.

“But also the rule is there. For me it’s not particular, a driver or a certain team. It is in general, there are rules that we have to respect, and the integrity of the FIA, we have to respect. And I cannot judge anyone unless I get the correct facts.

“I feel that, of course, not being present at the gala dinner, it’s something that the team and Lewis knew about it. But at the end of the day, you are human also. The stress and the pressure has been there.”

The King is Crowned! | 00:34

Hamilton’s silence has also extended to questions about whether he will race on next year, with Mercedes boss Toto Wolff saying the Brit will never get over the Abu Dhabi heartbreak.

Ben Sulayem responded to queries about Hamilton’s future with a question of his own.

“I’ll ask your question: did Lewis declare that he’s not going to race?” he said.

“No. Exactly. Being a driver, you declare yourself, you don’t let the rumours [talk].

“I’m confident that Lewis [will be back]. Lewis is a big part of motorsport, and of course of Formula 1, the new era [can add to] Lewis’ wins and achievements, and also Verstappen is there.”

While Hamilton looks set to return, it does not mean the F1 cannot ignore what happened at Abu Dhabi.

The FIA, its governing body, is investigating the decisions made by race director Michael Masi in light of the Nicholas Latifi crash, centred around the deployment of the safety car.

Ben Sulayem said the FIA’s focus is on introducing “proactive” measures instead of always being “reactive’ to such issues.

Huge crash closes gap in title race | 01:06

“I am going to study the case of what happened in Abu Dhabi, and a decision will be taken how to go forward without any pressure from anyone,” Ben Sulayem said.

“The integrity of the FIA, it is my job and duty to protect it, but it doesn’t mean that we do not look into our regulations, and if there is any [need for] improvement, we will [make changes].

“I said in my first press conference, this is not the book of God. This is written by humans. It can be improved and changed by humans. So that’s it.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending