Connect with us

Cricket

ICC u-turn over allocation of global events as bidding process removed

Published

on


News

All tournaments over the next cycle starting in 2023 will be selected by the board

Hosts for ICC events will not be determined through an open bidding process, and instead will be selected by its board. In what amounts effectively to a u-turn, the ICC said after a board meeting on Tuesday that a process for selecting hosts for all of its events in the next rights cycle from 2023-2031 had been approved and would begin this month.

How that process will work was not revealed, but the decision to roll back from inviting bids from all members will please a number of boards who had been opposed to it, including the BCCI and ECB. All men’s, women’s and Under-19 events in the next cycle will be selected rather than bid for. The process of selecting hosts for men’s events in the cycle – which now includes the return of the Champions Trophy and an expanded 50-over World Cup and T20 World Cup – will begin this month, with all events allocated a host by September.

The hosting process for women’s and U-19 events will commence in November and, the ICC said, “will be an opportunity to engage with a wider range of Members including first-time hosts.”

The decision to implement bidding for events was one of the more contentious outcomes of an ICC meeting in October 2019, that has since rumbled through discussions on the next cricket calendar. Potentially opening up the ability for any member – full, associate or affiliate – to bid to host ICC events was a significant shift from how event locations were decided upon in the previous eight-year cycle: all the major global men’s events were essentially divvied up between Australia, India and England.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Cricket

Sophie Molineux named Melbourne Renegades captain

Published

on


News

The allrounder replaces Amy Satterthwaite after a season where the Renegades won four matches

Allrounder Sophie Molineux has been named the new captain of Melbourne Renegades as the club looks to bounce back from a difficult 2020-21 WBBL where they finished seventh.

Molineux’s appointment, to replace New Zealand’s Amy Satterthwaite, means a new captain-coach combination for the Renegades with Simon Helmot having replaced Lachlan Stevens.

Last season Molineux scored 221 runs and took 11 wickets as the team secured four wins in 14 matches during the tournament that was played entirely in a Sydney-based hub.

“It’s a real honour to be appointed captain of a club I love so much and follow in the footsteps of some high-quality leaders that I look up to,” Molineux said.

“Amy Satterthwaite has had a massive influence on the group and on me personally. Her wealth of knowledge and ability to stay composed is what I’ve always admired. Jess Duffin is such a competitor and leads by example and I’ve also had the privilege of playing under Meg Lanning in the Victorian and Australian teams.

“I am really excited to be able to take what I’ve learnt from each of them, combine it with how I approach the game and continue to grow and learn along the way.”

Molineux is a regular part of Australia squads with 24 T20I caps under her belt alongside six ODIs and one Tests although did not make the side during the tour of New Zealand earlier this year.

“Sophie has fantastic relationships within the squad. She’s tactically astute, trusted and highly respected across the playing group,” Helmot said. “She’s had an excellent apprenticeship working under some great captains, including Amy who has helped nurture so much of our young talent.

“That grounding under such leadership will have Sophie well prepared, we’re excited to see this next phase in her career and we’ll support her along the way. We look forward to the start of a sustained period of success for the club under Sophie’s leadership.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

Debut double helps Devon Conway enter Test batters' rankings at No. 77

Published

on



Ollie Robinson made a big entry too, his seven wickets at Lord’s taking him to 69th among bowlers



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

Eng vs NZ 2021 – Kane Williamson ruled out of second Test and Tom Latham to captain New Zealand

Published

on


News

Will Young to bat at No. 3 after showing strong County Championship form for Durham

Kane Williamson, the New Zealand captain, has been ruled out of the second Test against England at Edgbaston because of a persistent elbow injury.
Williamson had to miss an ODI series against Bangladesh earlier this year because of the same problem, which also caused him to miss the start of the 2021 IPL for the Sunrisers Hyderabad. Tom Latham, the regular vice-captain, will lead the team in Williamson’s absence, as he did against Australia at the SCG in January 2020 and West Indies in Wellington in December.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending