Connect with us

Cricket

India Women in England, 2021 – Early-season form poses tough Test selection task

Published

on


News

Lack of red-ball opportunities only adds to intrigue of picking side to face India

A glut of England regulars and hopefuls making a case for selection on the opening weekend of the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy has left Heather Knight in a welcome, if tricky, position ahead of this month’s Test against India.
Back-to-back centuries to Amy Jones put her on top of the competition’s run-scoring charts with 277, which is 127 more than second-placed Knight, the England captain, while twin fifties to Danni Wyatt along with Lauren Winfield-Hill‘s century and a half-century from Tammy Beaumont have England’s top-order options looking healthy.
Sophia Dunkley, who is looking to establish herself in the side having broken back into the England set-up last year, did her chances no harm with an unbeaten 104 for South East Stars on Saturday and Thunder’s Emma Lamb drew some attention to herself with 121 against Storm to sit third on the list, just 11 runs shy of Knight.
Among the bowlers, Katherine Brunt and Sophie Ecclestone are predictably at the top of the pack, with six wickets each, along with Kate Cross. Tash Farrant indicated she was ready to press on after earning a recall for the winter tour of New Zealand by taking 5 for 33 in South East Stars’ season opener and Issy Wong, the fast bowler who has just turned 19 and who travelled to New Zealand with the England squad on a development basis, also took a five-wicket haul.

“I’m delighted the girls have gone so well,” Knight said. “That’s what we want those girls to do, to go in and win games of cricket for their clubs and put in really strong performances and selection’s going to be quite tough.

“Hugely excited to play in the Test match, it’s such a rare event in our calendar and one that’s huge for us, we love playing red-ball cricket so it’s great to see the girls performing well and hopefully we can continue those performances against India.”

After just two rounds of matches, on Saturday and Bank Holiday Monday, several players have remarked that the new domestic women’s structure – where 41 players have been awarded full-time contracts in addition to the centrally contracted England players – is already paying dividends in terms of professionalism and development.

“The standards have gone up massively,” Knight said. “I’m just pleased to see the girls go well, some of the domestic players really pushing as well, putting their hands up playing against the best players in England and the players that they want to take the spots off.

“You want to just create as much competition as you can and I think we’re really starting to do that. We’re getting a bigger pool of players that you can pick from.”

While the domestic 50-over competition is obviously a different format, it’s virtually all that selectors have to go on when choosing the Test side, so rare are red-ball opportunities – that and previous Test experience.

“To be honest, it’s quite tough because we don’t play any domestic red-ball cricket or anything like that,” Knight said. “You’re going on one-day form more than anything. There’s not many stats to go so it’s almost a little bit of feel who you think has the temperament and the technique and the skill to be able to perform in red-ball cricket and a little bit of form goes into it as well.

“It’s not easy but we’ll sit down after the round of the Rachel Heyhoe Flint on Saturday and come together… I’m sure we’ll put together a squad that’s going to really challenge and really be strong.

“People that have had success in red-ball cricket before can obviously take from that and take it into more games, but it’s two years ago, it’s tough in that things change so much. You take it into account a little bit but probably more recent form and how batters are going and who is most likely to have the best success in the game.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Cricket

SL vs Ind 2021 – Shikhar Dhawan to captain India on limited-overs tour of Sri Lanka

Published

on


News

Bhuvneshwar Kumar named vice-captain, Chetan Sakariya and Nitish Rana among new faces in the mix

Devdutt Padikkal, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Nitish Rana, K Gowtham and Chetan Sakariya have all received maiden call-ups to the national team, figuring in the 20-man India squad for the white-ball series in Sri Lanka, scheduled for July. The second-string squad – the main team will be in England at the time – will be captained by opening batter Shikhar Dhawan, who has never led India previously, and will also see the international comeback of fast bowler Bhuvneshwar Kumar, who has been appointed vice-captain.
India’s Sri Lanka tour comprises six matches: three ODIs (on July 13, 16 and 18), followed by three T20Is (July 21, 23, 25). Former India captain Rahul Dravid has been confirmed as the head coach, although the BCCI did not announce the coaching staff for the side on Thursday when it announced the squad, which will have five reserve bowlers.

Squad: Shikhar Dhawan (capt), Bhuvneshwar Kumar (vice-capt), Prithvi Shaw, Devdutt Padikkal, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Suryakumar Yadav, Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, Nitish Rana, Ishan Kishan (wk), Sanju Samson (wk), Yuzvendra Chahal, Rahul Chahar, K Gowtham, Krunal Pandya, Kuldeep Yadav, Varun Chakravarthy, Deepak Chahar, Navdeep Saini, Chetan Sakariya

Net bowlers: Ishan Porel, Sandeep Warrier, Arshdeep Singh, R Sai Kishore, Simarjeet Singh

More to follow…



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

County cricket 2021 – Kyle Jamieson signs for Surrey on short-term deal

Published

on


News

Fast bowler will head to Kia Oval at conclusion of the World Test Championship final

Kyle Jamieson, the New Zealand fast bowler, has signed a short-term deal for Surrey across formats, and will link up with the club at the conclusion of the World Test Championship final against India later this month.

Jamieson, who has been rested from the ongoing second Test against England after claiming three wickets in the opening match at Lord’s, will be available for the Vitality Blast London Derby against Middlesex at The Kia Oval on June 25, and will remain with the squad until their final group game in mid-July.

In that period, he will also be available for Surrey’s final two group games in the LV= Insurance County Championship, against Hampshire at The Ageas Bowl from July 4-7 and against Somerset at The Oval from July 11-14. This will be his first time playing in English domestic cricket.

“I’m really excited to get the chance to play some county cricket after the Black Caps tour,” Jamieson said. “Originally I didn’t think this opportunity would be possible with the schedule this year, but with how things have unfolded it’s great to be able to join Surrey and experience both T20 and first-class cricket.

“Playing county cricket is something I’ve always wanted to do in my career, so to have the chance to do so now is awesome. I’ve heard a lot of great things about county cricket, particularly T20 Blast nights at The Kia Oval, and can’t wait to take up the opportunity with Surrey to continue to learn and grow whilst trying my best to contribute to the teams’ success.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

The Hundred 2021 – David Warner, Marcus Stoinis and Sophie Devine pull out of the Hundred

Published

on


News

ECB bracing for further withdrawals amid clashes with international tours and restrictions on overseas travel

David Warner, Marcus Stoinis and Sophie Devine have pulled out of the inaugural season of the Hundred, with the ECB bracing for further withdrawals amid clashes with international tours and restrictions on overseas travel.

Warner and Stoinis were both contracted by the Southern Brave on deals worth £100,000 and £80,000 respectively, but have opted to withdraw from the competition. Both players have been named in Australia’s preliminary squad for white-ball tours to the Caribbean and Bangladesh, which overlap with the Hundred’s window from July 21-August 21, but are expected to withdraw in order to spend time with their families.

Trevor Hohns, Australia’s national selector, added six players to the preliminary squad for those tours following discussions with those initially named. “During the course of those discussions, it has become clear that recent experiences abroad, including but not limited to extended periods in bio-secure hubs and hard quarantine, have had an impact on the health and wellbeing of some players and their families,” he said.

“CA has maintained that the wellbeing of players, staff and officials is a top priority, and never more so than during the Covid-19 pandemic given the extraordinary challenges it has placed upon international athletes and sporting teams.”

“It is obviously disappointing to lose players with the ability of David and Marcus, but the realities of Covid mean there are practicalities that are difficult for some overseas players to overcome,” the ECB said in a statement to ESPNcricinfo. “Replacement overseas players will be signed by Southern Brave, and we look forward to the Hundred showcasing world-class cricket this summer.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending