Connect with us

Cricket

IPL 2021 – Australia players’ IPL availability yet to be discussed

Published

on


News

Priority is to reunite the IPL returnees with families as they come out of quarantine on Monday, CA CEO says

Cricket Australia has yet to start discussions over whether players will be able to head back to the IPL when the tournament resumes in the UAE later this year as those who had returned from the suspended competition completed their quarantine in Sydney on Monday.

The cohort of Australians – players, commentators, coaches and match officials – endured a long journey home when the tournament was halted earlier this month, having to travel via a stay in the Maldives due to Australia’s border being closed to arrivals from India, before a BCCI-chartered flight brought them back when restrictions were partly lifted.
While Australia do not have any international commitments when the IPL is due to resume it is unlikely that all the players will resume their deals. The tournament is now set to run almost straight into the T20 World Cup – which still seems likely to be moved to the UAE, although the BCCI has asked the ICC for more time to see if the showpiece event can be held as scheduled in India – meaning another lengthy stint in various biosecure bubbles for those involved in both. It will also clash with the start of the Australian domestic season, although last year players with IPL deals did skip state cricket.
“Once we get back together as a group that [the IPL] is something we’ll obviously need to discuss,” Nick Hockley, Cricket Australia’s chief executive, said on the day he was confirmed in the role full-time. “Our players returning from the IPL have only today come out of quarantine, so our first priority is to make sure they are reunited with their families…we [then] have a tour to prepare for in the West Indies.”

Following the T20 World Cup, players will need to do a further two weeks quarantine in Australia then those in the Test squad will go straight into the opening match of the men’s season against Afghanistan in Hobart before the Ashes in December.

Australia have named a preliminary squad of 23 for the West Indies tour in July, which includes five T20Is and three ODIs, with that expected to be trimmed to around 18. They are then due to go straight from the West Indies to Bangladesh for five T20Is although those dates have yet to be rubberstamped.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Cricket

Complaint filed against Sabbir Rahman for alleged racial abuse and stone throwing

Published

on


News

Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi Club lodge the complaint for apparent offences against their player Elias Sunny; Rahman denies allegations

Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi Club has lodged a complaint against Legends of Rupganj player Sabbir Rahman for racially abusing and throwing stones at their player Elias Sunny. The alleged incident took place during the Dhaka Premier League (DPL) T20 match between Dhanmondi and Old DOHS Sports Club at the BKSP 3 ground in Dhaka on Wednesday.
Rahman, who had a match lined up against Partex Sporting Club starting later in the day at the BKSP 4 ground, allegedly abused Sunny, who was on the field, and threw stones at him shortly after arriving at the sporting complex.

Play was stopped for a few minutes when Sunny, fielding at the time, informed the on-field umpires Habibur Rahman and Mozahiduzzaman about the incident. After the match, Dhanmondi wrote a letter to the Cricket Committee of Dhaka Metropolis (CCDM) – the BCB committee that oversees club cricket in Dhaka – requesting disciplinary action.

“[Sabbir Rahman] used abusive and racially discriminate language against Sunny. As a professional cricketer, such behaviour is not only indecent but also a punishable offense,” the letter said. “In this case, you are specially requested to take disciplinary action against Sabbir Rahman.”

Sunny said that Rahman’s behaviour was not an isolated one. He said it had started earlier in the week when Dhanmondi played Rupganj.

“Sabbir started abusing me when I was batting against Rupganj on June 13,” Sunny told ESPNcricinfo. “I asked him thrice whether he himself understood what he was saying, but he kept repeating it. I got angry, after which the umpires had to separate us. But he kept calling me kalo (referring to his skin colour) repeatedly from the outfield. We won the match so I didn’t react too much.

“During today’s match, when we were fielding, Rupganj’s bus had arrived near the BKSP 3 ground. He started teasing me with the same kalo, kalo. I didn’t react at first. But shortly afterwards, he threw a stone at me. I maintained the protocol by telling the umpires. Play was stopped for a while. I also spoke to the match referee.”

Speaking to the Daily Star, Rahman denied that he had used a racial slur, adding, “There is no question of throwing a stone. Is it easy to throw stones? Why would I do something like that? He is my senior.”

The CCDM, which will hold a hearing on the incident, has to investigate the matter since Rahman was technically an outsider or bystander during the Dhanmondi-Old DOHS game. If the match officials of the Dhanmondi game also report Rahman, it would be used as evidence against him.

Rahman has a long record of disciplinary breaches. He received a six-month ban for abusing a fan on social media (that was later reduced by one month) in 2018. It came a few months after his central contract was revoked after he physically assaulted a fan during a first-class match in late 2017. During the 2016 BPL, the BCB fined him 30% of his BPL contract for “serious off-field disciplinary breaches”.

Mohammad Isam is ESPNcricinfo’s Bangladesh correspondent. @isam84



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

Vitality Blast 2021 – Ollie Pope to miss four Surrey Blast fixtures after being required to self-isolate

Published

on


News

Batter comes into contact with Covid-19 carrier, but not while on England duty

Ollie Pope will miss Surrey’s next four T20 Blast fixtures after coming into contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19.

Pope, the middle-order batter, had been due to link up with his county this week following England’s Test series defeat against New Zealand, but has been forced into self-isolation in line with track-and-trace protocols.

He will miss home games against Sussex, Hampshire, Essex and Somerset, but is expected to be available for the London derby against Middlesex on June 25. Surrey are currently unbeaten in their Blast campaign, having won each of their opening three fixtures.

“Ollie Pope will not be available to play cricket until June 24 having had contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19,” a Surrey statement said. “He will now have to self-isolate until that time.



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

New-ball yorker, swinging in – how Wahab Riaz trapped Babar Azam for first-ball duck

Published

on


News

“I wanted to attack Babar from the very first ball, bringing the ball in to him using the blind spot,” the seamer reveals

Peshawar Zalmi’s two new boys Hazratullah Zazai and Abrar Ahmed may have caught the eye in a statement-making thumping of champions Karachi Kings but the win was set up by a rare bout of new-ball swing. And pace.
The example was set by captain Wahab Riaz with a searing first-over dismissal of Babar Azam before Sameen Gul picked up two in two in the third over – all three deliveries hooping big. Azam’s failure was a rare one for the Pakistan captain this season but so too was the method of Riaz’s success: a new-ball yorker, swinging in.

“In Abu Dhabi, the ball swings a lot under lights and it’s not just for me but everyone who is bowling with pace,” Riaz told ESPNcricinfo. “The first three to four overs are crucial and that is where everyone is trying to extract maximum advantage given the dew later on. Mostly, teams have been struggling against the new ball and losing a bulk of wickets early.

“With a new hard ball and pace, you will get everything if you bowl in right area. I had worked out a plan and wanted to attack Babar from the very first ball, bringing the ball in to him using the blind spot [the left-arm over angle creates]. But once the game goes on, after five overs or so, the swing is reduced and batsmen control back.”

The good work of Riaz and Gul was built upon by Ahmed, playing for Zalmi for the first time this season and in only his fourth T20 game since his debut in the PSL four seasons ago. Ahmed is a rare breed for Pakistan: a finger-spinner who can bowl the carrom ball; his 3 for 14 were the first wickets he’s taken at this level. He had caused a flutter of excitement when he emerged in the 2016-17 season for the Karachi Kings – then coach Mickey Arthur saw him potentially as an answer to Pakistan’s middle-overs bowling – but back injuries have kept him out of the game until last year.

The other new arrival, Zazai, then tore into the total, a remarkable 26-ball 63 on his PSL debut taking Zalmi to 99 in the ninth over, when he was dismissed. His fifty, off 17 balls, was the joint-fastest in the PSL. He took 21 off a Mohammad Amir over, and then 20 by himself off Aamer Yamin. The first six off the latter went outside the ground.

“When my shots started coming off early on, I thought I need to cash in as it’s my day today,” Zazai said after the game. “I liked all the sixes I hit today but the first one off Aamer Yamin was probably my favourite.”

The win took Zalmi to joint-second with the Lahore Qalandars, with some fresh impetus with Ahmed and Zazai in the squad now.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending