Pakistan left-armer could be available for up to seven group games and the knockouts
Mohammad Amir, the Pakistan fast bowler, has signed to play for Kent in this year’s Vitality Blast. He is set to arrive for the second half of the competition, after the conclusion of the rearranged Pakistan Super League, and be available for up to seven group matches, as well as the knockouts if Kent qualify.
Amir, 29, retired from international cricket last year and is effectively a T20 specialist, having not played any other format since 2019. He was a World T20 winner in 2009, helping Pakistan to lift the title at Lord’s, and played for Blast champions Essex during the group stage two summers ago.
His first game could come against Essex, with Kent travelling to Chelmsford on June 25 – although his involvement will depend on the progress of Karachi Kings at the PSL. The final of the PSL is scheduled for June 20 in Karachi, but Amir’s arrival from Pakistan, which is currently on the UK government’s travel “red list”, is likely to mean serving a period in quarantine.
“I am excited to join a Kent team full of potential,” Amir said. “I have always enjoyed playing at Canterbury, and I hope I will be able to help Kent win a trophy this year.”
Amir, a PSL winner with Karachi last year, has taken 220 wickets in 190 T20 appearances, with a career economy of 7.09. He played in the Blast for Essex in 2017 and 2019, has featured regularly in the Bangladesh Premier League, and was involved in last year’s inaugural Lanka Premier League.
The left-armer also played a pivotal role in Pakistan’s 2017 Champions Trophy success in England, and was a member of the 2019 World Cup squad, but retired from Test cricket the same year in order to manage his workload. His last international appearance came on the 2020 tour of England, before a falling out with the Pakistan management.
Kent’s director of cricket, Paul Downton, said: “We’re delighted that a player of Amir’s quality has agreed to join us for the later stages of the Vitality Blast this year. His skill and experience will be an invaluable addition to our bowling attack and I’m sure our members and supporters will share our enthusiasm in welcoming Amir to the club.”
Kent have reached the quarter-finals of the Blast in two of the last three seasons, but last made an appearance at Finals Day back in 2009.
Cameron Bancroft – ‘Self-explanatory’ that bowlers were aware of ball-tampering tactics in Newlands Test
“All I wanted to do was to be responsible and accountable for my own actions and part”
Cameron Bancroft has conceded there had to be wider knowledge of Australia’s ball-tampering tactics against South Africa in the Newlands Test than the punished trio of himself, David Warner and Steven Smith.
Speaking to the Guardian interviewer Donald McRae in Durham where he is playing county cricket, Bancroft admitted under questioning that it was “self-explanatory” that bowlers in the Test team had to be aware the ball was being tampered with.
“Yeah, look, all I wanted to do was to be responsible and accountable for my own actions and part. Yeah, obviously what I did benefits bowlers and the awareness around that, probably, is self-explanatory,” Bancroft said. “I guess one thing I learnt through the journey and being responsible is that’s where the buck stops [with Bancroft himself]. Had I had better awareness I would have made a much better decision.”
When pressed further, he replied: “Uh… yeah, look, I think, yeah, I think it’s pretty probably self-explanatory.”
While levying extremely heavy penalties on Bancroft, Warner and Smith for their roles in the ball-tampering, Cricket Australia ring-fenced the matter away from the rest of the team, although head coach Darren Lehmann resigned a few days later after seeing the tearful press conferences of the players upon their early returns to Australia.
The lengthy bans placed on Bancroft (nine months), Warner and Smith (one year each, with Warner banned from holding any leadership positions for life) have left plenty of questions unanswered, even though CA has in the past called for anyone with further evidence about the affair to come forward. Former chief executive Kevin Roberts had this to say in March 2019 about that prospect, while defending the initial investigation conducted by the former CA head of integrity, Iain Roy, between the Cape Town and Johannesburg Tests.
“If they’ve got any concerns about ball-tampering or any concerns about any integrity issue in the game, we’ve invited them to report that through our anonymous integrity hotline or through other means that are available to them,” Roberts had said. “We haven’t had any such reports, so we won’t jump at shadows, but if anyone does report concerns about any integrity matter prior to ball-tampering or whatever it may be, we’re serious about addressing that, and we have a process to address it.
“We’re really serious about addressing any unresolved issues and we’re sincere in the way we’re going about that. So if there are any reports or allegations as opposed to innuendo, then we will investigate that thoroughly.
“Certainly the investigation needed to be conducted swiftly, we needed to fulfil our commitment to field a team against South Africa the following week, and we didn’t know whether we’d need to fly 11 new players in to fill that team or no new players. The ultimate answer was somewhere in between. So the investigation was absolutely fit for purpose, but we haven’t rested on those laurels. We’ve made repeated and extensive invitations to anyone to report any integrity matters or concerns about ball-tampering ever since.”
Though Smith and Warner have returned to the team, Bancroft is now a long way from international consideration, having played the first two Test of the 2019 Ashes series before being discarded and then struggling to recreate his best days in the Sheffield Shield in 2019-20. He performed better last summer but is not considered to be in the front rank of contenders for a place in the national side.
Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. @danbrettig
England head coach Chris Silverwood to take time off during Sri Lanka, Pakistan ODI series
England head coach will hand over to assistants Thorpe and Collingwood during busy summer
Chris Silverwood will miss the ODI series against Sri Lanka and Pakistan as part of England’s rest-and-rotation policy.
Silverwood, the England coach, was one of few ever-presents on England’s tours of Sri Lanka and India and accepts he will find it hard to switch off. But he also acknowledged the need for fallow periods amid England’s relentlessly busy schedule and said that without such breaks, he “won’t be providing the level of service” players deserve.
England’s assistant coaches, Paul Collingwood and Graham Thorpe, will each take charge of an ODI series in his absence.
“It is important we keep our personnel as fresh as possible,” Silverwood said. “It’s not fair on the players if I am operating at less than 100 percent and it is not fair on myself either. I won’t be providing the level of service that I need.
“You saw during the winter what we tried to do that with our players to the best of our ability. It’s equally as important we do that with the staff. It’s important we look after each other.”
The fact that Silverwood will be available for all England’s Tests and T20Is might be interpreted, by some, as a reflection of the diminishing importance of ODI cricket. But it is more to do with where we are in the current international cycle, with two T20 World Cups scheduled within the next 18 months and the next 50-over World Cup not until 2023.
“I’m not going to deny it: it’s not easy for me to switch off,” Silverwood said. “I am wholly on-board with what we are doing. I am very embedded in it now. I do find it hard to switch off but I’ll do my best.
“I’ll be passing the reins on for the ODI series. Thorpey will do one and Colly will do the other and I’ll use it as my break to refresh and get ready for what is ahead of us.
“My missus has already booked us a little getaway up in Norfolk somewhere. I have got to do that otherwise I won’t switch off.”
Whatever Silverwood’s reservations about the break, he is confident in his deputies, acknowledging that both had “a lot more” experience of playing international cricket than him.
“I said right from the start I was going to step back at times and promote them forward to give them leadership opportunities,” Silverwood said. “This is a great opportunity for us to do that.
“I think it will be a great experience for them. I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t trust them 100 percent. If you look at the wealth of experience that the two of them have, it’s a massive bonus for me to have them next to me wherever we go.
“They have had success all round the world. As players, they played a lot more international cricket than me so you surround yourself with the things that maybe you don’t have and build a team that way. They’re a huge asset to us.”
England are expected to name their Test squad for the series against New Zealand on Tuesday. Ashley Giles, the managing director of England men’s cricket, has previously suggested England will use the series as an opportunity to “look at some new faces”, with Ollie Robinson, Craig Overton and James Bracey among those expected to feature.
George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo
Recent Match Report – Durham vs Worcs Group 1 2021
Durham seamer draws level with Graham Onions after five-wicket haul
Durham 246 (Lees 99, Tongue 5-39) and 79 for 1 lead Worcestershire 213 (Fell 44, Leach 42*, Rushworth 5-56) by 112 runs
Chris Rushworth joined Graham Onions as Durham’s highest first-class wicket-taker after notching a five-wicket haul to dismiss Worcestershire for 213 in their LV= Insurance County Championship clash at Emirates Riverside.
Rushworth was at his imperious best to claim figures of 5 for 56 to put the hosts in a strong position and move level with his former team-mate with 527 first-class strikes for Durham. Brydon Carse and Ben Raine were also on point, although late resistance from Joe Leach kept Worcestershire in the game.
Although the home side lost Alex Lees early in their second innings, Scott Borthwick and Will Young held firm to leave the north-east outfit in control of the contest with a lead of 112 runs.
Durham made a strong start to day two through Rushworth, who began the day by dismissing Daryl Mitchell for the ninth time in his first-class career, pinning the opener lbw with an inswinger. Jake Libby performed well in tough conditions, mustering 24 before he was undone by a brilliant delivery from Raine.
The seamers were on the mark and did not allow Jack Haynes to settle. In his second spell, Rushworth removed Haynes lbw for 8 to reduce the visitors at 60 for 3. Brett D’Oliveira battled with Tom Fell to take Worcestershire into the lunch break, but the pressure resumed immediately after the restart.
Fell survived a close lbw shout against Raine, but the right-armer plugged away and removed D’Oliveira for 10 in his next over. Fell offered solid resistance, grinding his way into the forties amid excellent bowling from the hosts. He was given a life by Borthwick, who put down a routine chance at second slip off Raine. The Durham captain’s blushes were spared by Carse as he skittled Fell, taking his off and middle stump out of the ground.
Rushworth whittled through the lower order from the Lumley End, breaking through Riki Wessels’ defences tbefore pinning Ed Barnard on the crease. Mark Wood and Carse reduced the visitors to nine down by using their pace to prise out Ben Cox and Josh Tongue.
However, Leach frustrated the hosts with a vital knock of 42. The Worcestershire captain produced a fifty partnership with Morris to bring his team within 33 of Durham’s first-innings total. Rushworth wrapped up the innings with his record-equalling scalp to bowl Morris, earning his 28th five-wicket haul in the process.
Worcestershire claimed the vital wicket of Lees before the end of the day, but Young and Borthwick put together an unbeaten stand of 51 to leave Durham in a formidable position at 79 for one in their second innings.
Arsenal Invincibles 17 years on: Arsene Wenger's historic triumph and the ongoing struggle
Los Angeles Dodgers’ AJ Pollock (hamstring) likely headed to IL, Dave Roberts says
Man Utd's Harry Maguire woes offer Liverpool reminder that may worry Man City and Chelsea
Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel confirms double injury boost and FA Cup final starter
Jarred Kelenic has Mariners ‘excited’ as first MLB homer keys big night
Man Utd boss Solskjaer wants 'three world-class signings' as summer transfer plan drawn up
FA Cup predictions: Chelsea vs Leicester match at Wembley previewed
Chelsea team news: Expected XI vs Leicester for FA Cup final
Cameron Bancroft – ‘Self-explanatory’ that bowlers were aware of ball-tampering tactics in Newlands Test
Chelsea's incredible XI after £150m Thomas Tuchel transfer spree brings in two big names
Soccer5 days ago
Manchester United target Jadon Sancho ‘wants England return’ when transfer window reopens
Motorsport3 days ago
Lewis Hamilton puts heat on Red Bull rear wing, Mercedes, new FIA testing
NFL4 days ago
Cameron McGrone is Patriots’ latest gamble on prospect with medical risk – New England Patriots Blog
Soccer6 days ago
What Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp and Thiago said to each other after Southampton goal
MLB3 days ago
Oakland Athletics to start looking at relocating elsewhere
Soccer6 days ago
Arsenal learn new £25m Houssem Aouar transfer stance after failed move last summer
NBA5 days ago
Washington Wizards star Bradley Beal out at least next 2 games with hamstring injury
MLB3 days ago
New York Yankees 3B coach Phil Nevin positive for COVID-19, other coaches pending, Aaron Boone says