Connect with us

Soccer

FIFA boss to speak about competition, UEFA, Manchester United, Arsenal

Published

on

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Tuesday that there is “no doubt whatsoever” that football’s world governing body “disapproves” of the proposed European Super League.

Twelve major clubs launched plans Monday for a new breakaway league which would drastically change the landscape of the sport.

“They must live with the consequences of their choices,” Infantino added.

MORE TO COME

Watch European Football with beIN SPORTS and ESPN on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

No turning back for Super League? | 02:02

READ MORE

The ‘ultimate proof’ that greedy rebel European league’s $20b plan is grossly flawed: UK View

‘He’s where the money is’: Klopp unleashes at Utd legend as astonishing war of words erupts

Tottenham ran out of patience with Mourinho — here are FIVE contenders to replace him

Klopp tees off on Super League debate | 03:39

– ‘FOOTBALL HAS TO CHANGE’ –

Backed by finance company JP Morgan, the Super League is offering the founding clubs 3.5 billion euros ($4 billion, £3 billion) for infrastructure investment and to offset pandemic costs.

The clubs, most of them heavily indebted and saddled with enormous player salaries, are expected to receive a further 10 billion euros in “solidarity payments” over the life of the initial commitment — much more than the returns available in the Champions League.

Britain’s culture secretary Oliver Dowden said the English clubs could find themselves subject to a formal review under British anti-trust law, which prevents the formation of monopolies or corporate cartels.

“We will put everything on the table to prevent this from happening,” the minister said, vowing a “very robust response”.

However, organisers of the Super League said they would file court motions to stop players being banned and “ensure the seamless establishment and operation” of the competition, according to a letter to Ceferin and Infantino that was seen by AFP.

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, the head of the new ESL, said it was “impossible” that clubs would be thrown out of the Champions League, whose upcoming semi-finals feature Chelsea, Manchester City and Real Madrid.

“Madrid will not be kicked out of the Champions League, definitely not. Nor City, nor anyone else,” he said, also insisting that players would still be able to represent their national teams.

“Football has to keep changing and adapting to the times. Football is losing interest. Something must be done,” Perez said.

The breakaway announcement came just hours before UEFA announced a new, 36-team format for the Champions League, which had been conceived to placate the continent’s biggest clubs.

Source link

Soccer

Transfer news, rumours, Manchester United, Jadon Sancho, Erling Haaland, Donny van de Beek, Jose Mourinho

Published

on

Former Tottenham coach Jose Mourinho could offer an escape route for Manchester United outcast Donny van de Beek, per reports.

Mourinho agreed a three-year contract with Roma on Wednesday and will replace their current boss Paulo Fonseca at the end of this season.

The 58-year-old was ranked among the world’s top managers after winning the Champions League at Porto and Inter Milan, while enjoying domestic glory with Chelsea and Real Madrid.

Watch Live coverage every week of the NBA Regular Season with ESPN on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Liverpool pip Saints as CL race heats up | 01:29

Mourinho hopes a return to Italy can revive his career in the same way he rejuvenated Inter Milan from 2008 to 2010.

It is not just his career though that could be reinvigorated by the move, with reports suggesting Mourinho is looking to offer van de Beek a lifeline.

Van de Beek has struggled for game time in his first season in England after making the switch from Ajax to Manchester United for £40 million ($A71m).

Calciomercato reports Mourinho will look to convince Van de Beek to make the move with his future at United unclear, stuck behind other first-team regulars.

The Sun though reports that United are adamant Van de Beek will stay put and will push back against approaches from rivals, instead insisting his time will come.

UNITED’S $143M TOP TARGET

Speaking of Manchester United, the Red Devils are reportedly preparing an £80 million ($A143m) bid for Jadon Sancho.

It comes after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was understood to have made the Borussia Dortmund star his top target for the summer.

United were heavily linked to Sancho last summer but could not strike a deal after failing to meet Dortmund’s £100m valuation.

Get all the latest basketball news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!

Chelsea deny City early Premier League | 01:27

The Daily Star though reports that United are “eyeing a big-money swoop” for Sancho as a bid for Erling Haaland would just cost too much.

Sancho told ESPN on Saturday he was not sure what his future looked like amid the interest.

“I don’t know about my future,” he said after a 3-2 loss to RB Leipzig.

“I am very happy here in Dortmund at the moment. I love the club, the fans and the team.

“They gave me my first professional start. The fans motivate and push me to the limit.”

United are reported to be in the race for Haaland alongside Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester City and Chelsea, per Sky Sports.

Dortmund though will not sell him for less than £150m ($A267m) even if they fail to qualify for the Champions League.

A source toldSky Sportsthere will be a war if Dortmund finish outside the Champions League places.

NEYMAR EXTENDS WITH PSG

Elsewhere, speculation over Neymar’s future is over after he signed a contract extension that will see him stay at Paris Saint-Germain until the end of the 2024-2025 season.

The Brazil attacker said he had “grown as a person, as a human being” since joining the club in 2017 from Barcelona for 222 million euros ($270 million) in what remains the most expensive transfer in history.

“I’m really pleased to continue my adventure at Paris Saint-Germain,” the 29-year-old said in a club statement after extending his contract until June 30, 2025.

“I’m very happy in Paris, and proud to be part of this squad, to work with these players, a great coach and to be part of the history of this club.

Chelsea deny City early Premier League | 01:27

“I have grown as a person here, as a human being and as a player, too. So I am very happy to extend my contract and I hope to win many more trophies here.”

Neymar has claimed three Ligue 1 titles and two French Cups with PSG, but the major honour that he was bought by the Qatari-owned club to win, the Champions League, continues to prove elusive.

He helped PSG to reach last season’s final where they were beaten by Bayern Munich but the club’s chances of reaching the final again were ended by Manchester City on Tuesday — and Neymar was ineffectual in the 2-0 semi-final second-leg defeat in England.

Aguero’s panenka penalty fail | 00:26

Source link

Continue Reading

Soccer

Ryan Mason speaks out on Tottenham top-four hopes as boss fumes at VAR after Leeds loss

Published

on

Ryan Mason fumed at VAR after Tottenham were beaten 3-1 by Leeds, dashing their top-four hopes.

Source link

Continue Reading

Soccer

Jurgen Klopp makes honest Man Utd admission as Liverpool boss sets Champions League task

Published

on

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp admits the Reds must win four from four to qualify for next season’s Champions League.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending