Connect with us

Cricket

SA vs Pak 2nd ODI 2021

Published

on


News

The debate is whether de Kock was trying to deceive the batsman or signalling to his team-mates

The Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) has weighed in on Fakhar Zaman‘s contentious run-out on Sunday night in the second ODI against South Africa, saying it was “up to the umpires to decide” if Quinton de Kock had attempted to distract or deceive the batsman.

The run-out, with Zaman on 193, took place in the final over of Pakistan’s chase of 342, when they needed 31 from six balls. The batsmen – Zaman and Haris Rauf – were trying to complete a second run, which seemed on, and wicketkeeper de Kock gestured towards the bowler’s end even as Zaman neared the batting end. Zaman appeared to slow down, and a direct hit from Aiden Markram at long-off caught him short.

Later on, the MCC Twitter handle posted the law related to the dismissal – about a fielder wilfully attempting to distract, deceive or obstruct either batsman – but without really saying if de Kock was guilty or not.

The debate around de Kock’s gesture was whether he was intentionally attempting to deceive Zaman into thinking that the throw was headed for the other end – which could have led to Zaman slowing down and turning around – or whether de Kock was instead signalling to the fielder or bowler.

Under Law 41.5 of the MCC, about “deliberate distraction, deception or obstruction of batsman”, Law 41.5.1 says: “… it is unfair for any fielder wilfully to attempt, by word or action, to distract, deceive or obstruct either batsman after the striker has received the ball”, and Law 41.5.2 says, “it is for either one of the umpires to decide whether any distraction, deception or obstruction is wilful or not”.





Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Cricket

Shikha Pandey and Taniya Bhatia return, Shafali Verma gets maiden ODI, Test call-ups

Published

on



Also in the squad is the uncapped Jharkhand wicketkeeper-batter Indrani Roy



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

West Indies to host South Africa, Australia and Pakistan in bumper home season

Published

on


News

The summer will include four Tests, three ODIs and 15 T20Is in the lead-up to the T20 World Cup

Cricket West Indies has announced a packed home schedule for the 2021 season, which includes visits from South Africa, Australia and Pakistan. In all, West Indies will play four Tests, three ODIs and 15 T20Is from June 10 to August 24.

The T20I-centric nature of the summer will help the teams prepare for the upcoming T20 World Cup, which is currently scheduled to be held in India in October-November 2021. The series against Pakistan was originally scheduled to include three Tests and three T20Is, but CWI and the PCB have mutually agreed to replace one Test with two additional T20Is.

The first part of the home summer will see West Indies face South Africa in two Tests in St Lucia (June 10-22) followed by five T20Is in Grenada (June 26 to July 5). This will be South Africa’s first bilateral tour of the West Indies since 2010.

This will be followed by a white-ball-only visit from Australia, who are scheduled to play five T20Is in St Lucia (July 9-16) followed by three ODIs in Barbados (July 20-24).

Pakistan will play their T20I series over two legs – the first two matches in Barbados on July 27 and 28 followed by the last three in Guyana from July 31 to August 3. They will then move to Jamaica where they will complete their tour with a two-match Test series (August 12-24).

“Following the successful hosting of the all-format series against Sri Lanka earlier this year, we are delighted to announce that we are set to welcome South Africa, Australia and Pakistan to the West Indies,” CWI CEO Johnny Grave said. “To host three international teams back-to-back in five territories is unprecedented, and putting these fixtures together was an enormous Covid-related logistical challenge.

“We must thank the visiting teams for agreeing to travel at this challenging period for world cricket and we are especially grateful to our regional Governments who are playing such a vital role in partnering with CWI to ensure that International cricket can be hosted safely, while providing entertainment for our loyal fans and income for our cricketers and cricket communities.”

The entire summer will follow biosecure safety protocols, with players and team officials undergoing regular tests for Covid-19. A CWI release said it is yet to be decided whether fans will be allowed at the stadiums.



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

Lord’s Varsity matches under scrutiny in gender equality row

Published

on


News

Pressure on Oxford and Cambridge to agree to T20 double-header or lose historic fixture

Marylebone Cricket Club has been asked to “step in” to find an “equitable solution” to a disagreement about gender parity in university cricket.

While the men’s Varsity Match – the game between Oxford and Cambridge universities – has been played on the main square at Lord’s for nearly 200 years, the women’s match has never progressed beyond the Nursery Ground. For many years, including 2021, it has not even made it that far.

Now a former Oxford University captain has written to key figures at MCC and requested they intervene to correct the situation.

Vanessa Picker, who was captain between 2017-20 and has founded the #StumpOutSexism campaign, contacted the MCC CEO, President and President-elect (Guy Lavender, Kumar Sangakkara and Clare Connor respectively) suggesting that “denying the women’s Blues access to Lord’s, while allowing our male counterparts to maintain exclusive access, reinforces damaging narratives about the inferiority of female cricketers.”

She went on to say: “In 2021, I strongly believe that the universities and the MCC should be taking steps to support men and women equally.”

Picker’s campaign actually stems back two-and-a-half years. But despite making numerous requests to the authorities at Oxford and Cambridge, correspondence seen by ESPNcricinfo shows that she has struggled to obtain the equal standards for which she has been aiming. For that reason, she has asked MCC to intervene to help persuade the universities to treat the men’s and women’s games equally.

While Lavender has declined the request for 2021 – he only received it on May 12 and the Varsity match is scheduled for May 23 – he did say MCC would be “very happy to accommodate a men’s and women’s T20 double header on the same day next year.”

Lavender pointed out that MCC were using the match on May 23 as a “test event” in a bid to approve a license ahead of the New Zealand Test at the start of June, and suggested the dispute was “primarily a matter for [the] respective universities”.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending