Connect with us

NFL

Gabe Jackson gets new 3-year, $22.575 million deal after trade to Seattle Seahawks, sources say

Published

on

SEATTLE — The Seattle Seahawks gave veteran guard Gabe Jackson a new three-year, $22.575 million contract after acquiring him in a trade with the Las Vegas Raiders earlier this month, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

Seattle essentially ripped up the two years that remained on Jackson’s contract with the Raiders, which the Seahawks inherited when they acquired him for a fifth-round pick on March 17. He was previously due base salaries of $9.35 million and workout bonuses of $250,000 in each of the next two seasons before entering free agency in 2023.

Now, Jackson gets $10.075 million this year — a $9 million signing bonus and $1.075 million in base salary — along with $6 million in 2022 and $6.5 million in 2023. He’s set to enter free agency in 2024.

Jackson’s new deal significantly reduces what would have been a $9.6 million salary-cap charge for 2021, something the Seahawks had to do given their cap constraints. OverTheCap.com has the team at more than $1 million above the spending limit, though that accounting doesn’t reflect the savings from Jackson’s new contract or the costs of some of their other signings whose details have yet to be reported.

Jackson said in a videoconference with Seattle-area reporters Tuesday, in his first public comments since the trade, that his contract was extended but did not provide any details. The 29-year-old Jackson, who spent his first seven seasons with the Raiders, likened his new start in Seattle to the feeling of having just been drafted.

“It feels like I’m a rookie all over again,” he said. “You get to go somewhere, meet new people and just start over.”

As for his exit from the Raiders, Jackson said a contract dispute was part of it but declined to go into detail.

The Seahawks’ trade for Jackson carried added significance in light of quarterback Russell Wilson‘s public lobbying for the team to improve his pass protection. Jackson ranks 18th in ESPN’s pass block win rate as a guard over the past two seasons. Pro Football Focus did not attribute a single sack to him last season.

“He was excited,” Jackson said when asked about a conversation he’s had with Wilson since the trade. “I don’t know if he was as excited as me, but we’re excited to work together.”

Jackson is the lone addition the Seahawks have made this offseason to their offensive line, which returns four starters from last season in left tackle Duane Brown, center Ethan Pocic, right guard Damien Lewis and right tackle Brandon Shell. However, the Seahawks could continue to look for someone to compete for the starting job at center after bringing Pocic back on a one-year deal worth $3 million guaranteed. It’s also not clear which guard spot Jackson will play. He played on the left side his first two seasons, then moved to right guard in 2016 and has been there since.

He said he and the team haven’t discussed in depth which position he’ll play but that he’ll do whatever the team wants.

“I know this is a great group of offensive [linemen],” he said. “I’ve watched them play and I’m just excited to play with them because I know we can be great.”

Jackson was asked if Wilson’s comments about his pass protection put Seattle’s offensive line under the microscope.

“I wouldn’t say that,” he said. “As an offensive lineman or a player in general, I feel like you’re always under the microscope. But the best thing you can do is just be yourself and work hard, take coaching and just do your best. And if you do everything right, you train right, you practice right and all that, it’ll pay off on Sundays. Just do the small things.”

Source link

NFL

Coach Reich ‘still a part’ of Carson Wentz’s first Colts camp, despite COVID-19 absence – Indianapolis Colts Blog

Published

on

WESTFIELD, Ind. — Carson Wentz took the field for his first training camp as the new starting quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts on Wednesday morning.

But a significant piece was missing — the same piece that played an instrumental part in the quarterback being traded to Indianapolis from Philadelphia.

Head coach Frank Reich.

Reich won’t be there in person during the early portion of training camp to talk to Wentz in between series in practice, applaud him for making the right read on a throw or for throwing the ball away instead of taking a sack, or to give him any guidance on anything else that may come up in practices.

And what Reich missed on Wednesday was a quarterback feeling like it was Christmas morning.

“I was telling (offensive coordinator Marcus) Brady I’m a little amped, I have to tone it down a little bit,” Wentz said. “It feels like the first day of school a little bit, coming out here, beautiful setting for training camp. You have farm lands all around you. My type of place.”

Wentz, the rest of his teammates and the entire coaching staff will spend at least the first few days of training camp preparing for the start of the regular season without their head coach. Reich is currently away from the team after testing positive for COVID-19 late last week. He said in a statement Monday that he’s fully vaccinated and asymptomatic. There is no set timetable for when Reich will return to the team. The Colts will practice four straight days before taking a day off Sunday. The hope is that Reich will be back by at least Aug. 2.

The pandemic has been around for more than 16 months, but this is the first time that Reich will spend time away from the team due to COVID-19. Special teams coordinator Bubba Ventrone missed some time, including a game, due to it last season.

“It’s going to be tough without the head coach,” receiver T.Y. Hilton said. “He’s being involved. He’s at home recovering.”

Duties in Reich’s absence will be divided up, as general manager Chris Ballard said they will not name an interim head coach for the time being. Duties will be split up pretty evenly between Ventrone, Brady and defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus.

“Bubba is a little more free during practice, so he’ll handle some of the practice duties,” Ballard said. “Frank is still a part of it. With everything we learned a year ago with Zoom, he’s still involved. He’s in meetings through Zoom, he’ll be in team meetings through Zoom. We have staff meetings every morning, and he is in constant contact with everybody. We just keep moving forward.”

Brady, who is in his first year as offensive coordinator of the Colts, handled the post-practice media session that Reich routinely does. Eberflus will address the media Thursday.

Defensive lineman DeForest Buckner understands what Reich is going through. He said it was “terrible” and he was “frustrated” having to miss a game while being stuck at home due to COVID-19 last season.

“Sent him a text a couple of days saying he was in mine and my wife’s prayers,” Buckner said. “I know the type of guy he is, I know he’s frustrated, not being able to be out here physically with the team, kicking off the season. I’ve been in his shoes. It’s very frustrating.”

Not having Reich for the start of another training camp with a new quarterback in Wentz isn’t ideal no matter how you look at it because he is the head coach and the team’s offensive playcaller.

The good thing — if you want to say there’s anything good about Reich’s absence — is that he already has a two-year relationship with Wentz, when he was the offensive coordinator during the quarterback’s first two years in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles (2016-17).

“He tunes into every meeting,” Wentz said. “We talk individually or as a position group. He’s just as involved as he can. I know it’s killing him not being out here. He’s doing well. He’s doing everything he can to be a part of it.”

Brady, the first-time NFL offensive coordinator, has been on Reich’s staff since Reich became head coach in 2018. And Reich, even though he is the offensive playcaller, has never been overbearing with his coaching staff. It also helps that the Colts have the majority of their offensive starters back from last season’s team that went 11-5 and reached the playoffs.

“I don’t think it’ll be any different,” running back Nyheim Hines said. “First of all, Frank is a very laid-back guy. He’s not hands on, so he’s laid back, very quiet. … Our draft class has a lot of leaders on this team. We’re going to hold it down for Frank. We’re going to give him something to be excited about when he comes back.

“We know we’re losing our leader, but we have a lot of other leaders on this team and we’re going to be asked to step up.”

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Joe Burrow puts injury out of his mind as Bengals try to be cautious – Cincinnati Bengals Blog

Published

on

CINCINNATI — Of all the things that happened during the Cincinnati Bengals‘ first practice of training camp on Wednesday, one development mattered more than anything.

Joe Burrow felt great.

A black brace supporting Burrow’s surgically-repaired left knee was the only indicator that the quarterback was a little more than eight months removed from a season-ending injury. Aside from that, Burrow went through all the usual motions that indicate the regular season is a few weeks away.

He lined up under center. He participated in 11-on-11 drills. He rolled out of the pocket with no issues. Burrow gave every indicator that he was close to full strength, which he indicated before Wednesday’s practice.

“It feels almost 100%,” Burrow said. “At this point, I’m not even really thinking about it.”

Throughout the offseason, the 2020 top overall draft pick said he was on track to start on Week 1 against the Minnesota Vikings. He participated in every organized team activity and in a one-day minicamp while he waited to get full clearance from his medical team. That came earlier in July, when he was authorized to resume all football activities.

Earlier this week, team owner and president Mike Brown indicated that Burrow would not participate in the three-game preseason. Third-year coach Zac Taylor echoed those sentiments on Wednesday.

“We’ll look at everything, every scenario about what would we gain out of it,” Taylor said. “If we’re going to put him out there, what exactly is that going to look like? Can we control it or not control it? We don’t have to make that decision today.”

Burrow, however, has a different idea. He said he wants to get a few snaps to feel the rush and even get hit a couple of times. And as beneficial as it might be for his rehab progress, feeling the contact has always been an indicator that football season was on the horizon.

“It doesn’t really feel like football until you get hit a little bit,” Burrow said. “That’s how it’s been for me since eighth grade. In scrimmages, I was always lobbying to be live. That’s how it’s always been. It’s just what I need to feel ready for Week 1.”

Fortunately for all the members of Bengals ownership who were watching practice, Burrow never came close to getting hit. He was perfect in 7-on-7 drills, the highlight a completion to rookie Ja’Marr Chase down the sideline with Chase dragging his feet before he went out of bounds.

The low point was on a type of movement Burrow said he lacked confidence in during OTAs. Toward the end of Wednesday’s practice, Burrow started right before he rolled back to his left to look for an open receiver. Linebacker Jordan Evans batted Burrow’s pass into the air in what could have been an interception.

Aside from that throw, Burrow showed all the progress of someone gearing up for a big second season in the NFL. Burrow completed 65.3% of his passes for 2,688 yards, 13 touchdowns and five interceptions before he was injured.

He said he’s a better all-around player than he was a year ago, and he’s excited to show everyone the improvements.

On Wednesday, Burrow exuded confidence — in his knee, his rehab process and his abilities. He still needs to prove to himself he can make some of the plays he made as a rookie. But at the start of training camp, there was no apprehension.

“I’m just ready to go out and play some football,” Burrow said.

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Arizona Cardinals put J.J. Watt on PUP list with sore hamstring

Published

on

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Arizona Cardinals pass-rusher J.J. Watt was put on the physically unable to perform list Wednesday after experiencing soreness in his hamstring after Tuesday’s conditioning test that kicked off his first training camp.

The injury kept Watt out of Wednesday’s practice, the Cardinals’ first of camp, and he said he didn’t expect to practice Thursday, as well. He later said he didn’t know when he’d be back on the field.

“We’re gonna take it very slow and be very smart about it,” Watt said. “I mean, it’s a hamstring, obviously, so you want to be very smart. Take your time.”

Watt said his goal is to be healthy for the Cardinals’ Week 1 game at the Tennessee Titans.

“Being in the league 10 years and the biggest thing that I know is that it’s all about Week 1, so it’s all about being ready for Sept. 12 and just making sure that we’re taking a smart, smooth approach to that day,” he said.

Watt, 32, signed with the Cardinals in early March after playing the first 10 years of his career with the Houston Texans.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending