Connect with us

Motorsport

Facebook bans Australian news, explained, News corp, Fox Sports, social media ban, reaction

Published

on

Facebook has blocked news content sharing in Australia, refusing to bend to a regulatory push that would force the social giant to share revenue with media outlets.

The dramatic move by Facebook comes with Australia poised to adopt legislation that would force digital platforms to pay for news content.

The Morrison government had proposed media bargaining laws, which passed through the House of Representatives on Wednesday night, and will require social media companies to pay media outlets for using their content.

For now, Australian publishers including Fox Sports Australia are blocked from sharing news, updates and dynamic sports content on Facebook. That means you can still find us via our homepage foxsports.com.au, search engines like Google, Twitter, Instagram and other platforms you follow.

We’d also encourage you to subscribe to our Fox Sports Australia newsletter, so you don’t miss a beat on breaking sports news, highlight moments and razor-sharp analysis you’ve come to know and trust. You can sign up now, right here.

The bill is anticipated to pass the Senate and become law as early as next week.

Facebook’s move contrasted with Google, which in recent days has brokered deals with media groups, including one announced earlier in the day with News Corp, the publisher of foxsports.com.au, in response to the regulatory push.

“The proposed law fundamentally misunderstands the relationship between our platform and publishers who use it to share news content,” said Facebook’s manager for Australia and New Zealand, William Easton.

“It has left us facing a stark choice: attempt to comply with a law that ignores the realities of this relationship, or stop allowing news content on our services in Australia. With a heavy heart, we are choosing the latter.”

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Earlier this week, Australian officials said the two US tech giants were close to deals with major Australian media to pay for news to resolve a standoff being closely watched around the world.

The companies had threatened to partially withdraw services from the country if the rules become law, sparking a war of words with Canberra.

A Facebook statement said that as a result of the new policy, people in Australia “cannot view or share Australian or international news content on Facebook or content from Australian and international news pages.”

It also means that people elsewhere in the world cannot view or share Australian news content on Facebook.

Easton said Facebook has argued to Australian officials that “the value exchange between Facebook and publishers runs in favour of the publishers,” and generates hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue for the media organisations in the country.

“We’ve long worked toward rules that would encourage innovation and collaboration between digital platforms and news organisations,” Easton said.

“Unfortunately this legislation does not do that. Instead it seeks to penalise Facebook for content it didn’t take or ask for.”

Australia’s competition watchdog has maintained that for every $100 spent on online advertising, Google captures $53, Facebook takes $28 and the rest is shared among others, depriving media outlets of needed revenue to support journalism.

The situation is mirrored in other parts of the world where tech platforms are facing increasing pressure to share revenue with news media.

Facebook’s news partnerships head Campbell Brown said in a tweet that the company acted reluctantly to block news content for Australian users.

“Our goal was to find resolution that strengthened collaboration with publishers, but the legislation fails to recognise fundamental relationship between us & news organisations,” she tweeted.

Google earlier Wednesday took the opposite tack, announcing it had struck a deal that would allow for “significant payments” to News Corp for content.

A joint statement called the deal a “historic multiyear partnership” that would see news from the media giant included in the Google News Showcase.

The deal covers content from the News Corp-owned Wall Street Journal, Barron’s, MarketWatch and the New York Post in the United States; British-based The Times and The Sunday Times, and The Sun as well as a number of Australian media outlets including The Australian.

News Corp was the last major private media yet to make a deal and was instrumental in pushing the conservative Australian government to tackle the tech giants.

Source link

Motorsport

Michael Schumacher health update, wife Corinna selling Lake Geneva mansion

Published

on

Michael Schumacher’s wife is reportedly selling the couple’s mansion as the Formula 1 icon continues his lengthy rehabilitation.

The German great suffered devastating head injuries while skiing in the French Alps in 2013 and was subsequently placed in a medically-induced coma.

Since his accident nearly eight years ago, there have been only scraps of information on Schumacher’s ongoing recovery.

Stream Every Practice, Qualifier & Race of the 2021 FIA Formula One World Championship™ Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

According to reports, Corinna Schumacher recently put the family’s 20,000 square-metre farmhouse on the market for approximately £5 million (AU$9 million).

The couple purchased the Swiss estate — located on Lake Geneva — for approximately $5.4 million in 2002.

The Schumacher family will reportedly move to another home in Gland where Michael can continue his rehabilitation.

Michael Schumacher and wife Corinna in 2006.Source: Getty Images

Michael’s son made his F1 debut earlier this year, representing Haas for the first time at the Bahrain Grand Prix in late March.

Mick became the third Schumacher to race in F1, with uncle Ralf Schumacher starting 180 races in a decade-long career.

He won the Formula 2 title in 2020 and has been touted for a potential stint with Ferrari in the coming years.

Last year, FIA president Jean Todt confirmed that Schumacher was keenly following his son’s progress in a heartwarming revelation.

Mick Schumacher in 2019.Source: AFP

Todt visits Schumacher every month and is a regular source of news about the 52-year-old’s health.

Schumacher won five consecutive World Drivers’ Championships under Todt’s leadership at Ferrari.

“I see Michael very often – once or twice a month,” Todt told RTL France.

“My answer is the same all the time – he fights. We can only wish for him and his family that things get better.”

Renowned neurosurgeon Erich Riederer speculated in a documentary that the seven-time F1 champion was a shell of his former self.

“I think he’s in a vegetative state, which means he’s awake,” Riederer told TMC last year.

“He is breathing, his heart is beating, he can probably sit up and take baby steps with help, but no more.

“I think that’s the maximum for him. Is there any chance of seeing him like he was before his accident? I really don’t think so.”

Seven-time world Formula One champion Michael Schumacher.Source: AFP

READ MORE: Ricciardo benefits from McLaren’s mess

The F1 season continues later this month at the glamorous Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday, May 23.

Source link

Continue Reading

Motorsport

Lewis Hamilton puts heat on Red Bull rear wing, Mercedes, new FIA testing

Published

on

The FIA will introduce a new series of compliance tests next month after a veiled swipe from Lewis Hamilton appeared to place rivals Red Bull under officials’ microscope.

Hamilton subtly suggested at the Spanish Grand Prix that Red Bull had picked up straight-line speed illegally with the aid of a flexible rear wing.

Formula One’s rules ban flexible rear wings, which can give teams the best of both worlds by reducing drag down the straights without sacrificing downforce in the corners.

Stream Every Practice, Qualifier & Race of the 2021 FIA Formula One World Championship™ Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Hamilton told Sky Sports in Spain: “The Red Bulls are really fast on the straights.

“They have this bendy wing on the back of their car which they put on today and they gained at least three tenths from this wing.

“So they will be quicker down the straights than us.”

The FIA has long tested cars for flexible rear wings but, with suggestions circling that Red Bull has found a way to beat the system, F1’s governing body has been forced to act.

Motorsport.com reports that the FIA will put new tests in place ahead of the French Grand Prix having admitted that it is concerned teams may be exploiting the rules.

READ MORE

Why McLaren mess could be Ricciardo’s ‘line in the sand’ moment

Ricciardo may have just turned the corner; sad truth in ‘bullsh*t’ F1 rumour: What we learnt

In a note seen by the publication, the FIA wrote to teams that it is aware some designs “exhibit excessive deflections while the cars are in motion”, even if they passed static testing.

“We believe that such deformations can have a significant influence on the car’s aerodynamic performance,” the note reportedly adds.

Red Bull chief Christian Horner was adamant that his team has done nothing wrong, saying: “The FIA are completely happy with the car, that it has passed all of those tests that are pretty stringent.”

Of Hamilton’s comments, Horner said that the world champion may have been echoing the thoughts of Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff, instead of his own.

“I was surprised to see his comments on that,” Horner said. “But it’s something that Toto has mentioned to me previously. I doubt it was Lewis’ opinion, so (it) probably came from elsewhere.”

Wolff confirmed that Mercedes had discussed the issue, but refused to comment further.

Teams will still have Grands Prix in Monaco, Azerbaijan and Turkey before the new wing testing commences.

Source link

Continue Reading

Motorsport

F1 news 2021: Daniel Ricciardo, Renault, Spanish Grand Prix results, Monaco Grand Prix, Ross Brawn, updates, reaction

Published

on

Daniel Ricciardo was left ruing “what could have been” after a crucial mistake from McLaren at the Spanish Grand Prix but F1 pundits believe it could actually work in his favour.

Ricciardo beat teammate Lando Norris for the first time in a Grand Prix, having out-qualified the Brit prior in three of four races.

The Aussie declared it a step in the right direction, although it could have been even better had it not been for an error that was not Ricciardo’s own doing.

Stream Every Practice, Qualifier & Race of the 2021 FIA Formula One World Championship™ Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Hamilton claims 100th career pole!

Hamilton claims 100th career pole!

0:57

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending