Connect with us

Soccer

Handball law, IFAB, reaction, Fulham vs Tottenham, Mario Lemina, Josh Maja

Published

on

Accidental handballs that lead to a teammate either scoring or having a chance to score a goal will no longer be considered an offence in football, the game’s law-making body said on Friday.

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) made the announcement in a statement that also clarified the sport’s handball rules in other situations.

The ruling, which will be put in place from July, comes a day after Fulham’s Josh Maja had his effort harshly disallowed for a handball by teammate Mario Lemina in the 1-0 defeat to Tottenham.

Watch European Football with beIN SPORTS and ESPN on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Blues extend Liverpool’s poor run | 01:30

Scott Parker’s team sit in the Premier League relegation zone, three points from safety.

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson previously said the ruling left him feeling “disillusioned” and declared it is “ruining football” while Steve Bruce said it was “total nonsense” despite benefiting from it.

IFAB, which is composed of members from the Football Associations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as well as FIFA delegates, also said that referees were to “use their judgement” with regards to the position of a player’s arm or hands when the ball touches them before whistling for handball.

“As the interpretation of handball incidents has not always been consistent due to incorrect applications of the Law, the members confirmed that not every touch of a player’s hand/arm with the ball is an offence,” the statement said.

One of the key controversies over handball in recent seasons has been over what constitutes an unnatural position for a player’s arm to be in when a ball strikes it.

“A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation.”

‘Lone Ranger’ strikes for Chelsea | 00:44

The rulings came after IFAB’s annual general meeting, held by videoconference on Friday.

FIFA chief Gianni Infantino said that IFAB were also presented with a proposed change to the offside rule from Arsene Wenger.

Former Arsenal boss Wenger, now FIFA’s head of Global Football Development, suggested that the offside be tweaked so that players would be onside if “a part of the body with which the attacker can score” is further from the goal than the defender, said Infantino.

IFAB director David Elleray that “it is an interesting idea which will be carefully examined”.

“It is impossible to give a timetable, particularly because of the pandemic,” he said.

VAR dishes out soft red card | 00:57

Source link

Soccer

news, Adam Federici racial abuse, Macarthur FC vs Melbourne Victory, Kusini Yengi,

Published

on

One rowdy A-League supporter has been arrested after allegedly biting a security guard following Friday night’s clash between Macarthur FC and Melbourne Victory.

A number of Victory fans allegedly repeatedly heckled Socceroos goalkeeper Adam Federici after his Bulls side claimed a 3-1 victory at Campbelltown Stadium.

According to a NSW Police spokeswoman, a 25-year-old man allegedly assaulted a security guard after being asked to cease heckling the 36-year-old gloveman.

The man allegedly bit the security guard during the altercation. Police on the scene arrested the Queensland man and took him to Campbelltown Police station, the spokeswoman said.

Watch Every Match of The 2020/21 A-League Season Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

He was charged with common assault, and excluded person fail to leave premises when required. The man is due to appear at Campbelltown Local Court on Monday 28 June.

Meanwhile, an investigation continues into whether the alleged abuse directed towards Federici by a number of supporters also included alleged racial taunts. There is no implication the 25-year-old Queensland man allegedly racially abused Federici.

The 36-year-old veteran – who also has Italian heritage – has played a star role for the Bulls in their impressive inaugural campaign, having returned down under after almost two decades plying his trade in England.

Federici has played every minute of Macarthur’s 22 games this season, keeping an equal-league-high seven clean sheets and helping the club to the brink of a finals berth in their maiden campaign.

The goalkeeper has 16 caps for Australia, the most recent coming in 2016, but was part of the Socceroos squad in the most recent match in 2019, and remains a contender for coach Graham Arnold’s upcoming side for next month’s World Cup qualifiers.

Macarthur FC and Melbourne Victory have been contacted for comment.

The competition has previously witnessed ugly racial abuse this season.

Adelaide United’s Kusini Yengi was targeted on social media following a standout performance against Victory in March.

Yengi’s father Ben travelled from the border of South Sudan and Uganda to South Australia in the 1970s and has since been awarded an OAM for his services to the state.

But the Reds’ young forward was lashed with sickening comments on Instagram following a goal and an assist in a 3-1 win over Victory.

Both clubs investigated the incident, though an Adelaide United spokesman today said no perpetrators have so far been identified.

Source link

Continue Reading

Soccer

Manchester United pick between Harry Kane and Jadon Sancho as summer transfer priority

Published

on

Manchester United have been linked with Harry Kane and Jadon Sancho ahead of the summer transfer window.

Source link

Continue Reading

Soccer

Barcelona’s positive reports on Harry Kane as Tottenham star pushes for blockbuster exit

Published

on

Barcelona could sign Harry Kane from Tottenham when the transfer window reopens at the end of the season.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending