Connect with us

Cricket

Final rounds of Marsh Cup, Sheffield Shield set to resume amid latest covid outbreak | Cricket

Published

on








File photo: Pat Cummins (R) will lead NSW in a Marsh Cup fixture this week © Getty Images


It would not be this cricket season without Covid-19 making a late reappearance. After the WNCL final was briefly caught up in the fallout of the new community outbreak in Brisbane, the last rounds of the Marsh Cup and Sheffield Shield, with finals berths up for grabs, will now try and avoid the ramifications.

So far the impact has been mitigated with Queensland flying to Sydney ahead of schedule on Monday before Greater Brisbane went into a three-day snap lockdown to try and get on top of the cluster after four new cases were confirmed on Monday.

The New South Wales government has said that anyone arriving from Brisbane will need to abide by the same lockdown conditions. However the Queensland squad, which faces New South Wales in the Marsh Cup on Wednesday and then the Sheffield Shield from Saturday, will be able to train and play in a similar scenario to the one that enabled Victoria to travel to Sydney during that state’s February lockdown.

The winner of the Marsh Cup game at North Sydney Oval will earn hosting rights for the final on April 11 although ESPNcricinfo understands that if Queensland win there will not be an immediate decision on the venue while the impact of Covid situation is monitored.

On Friday, the Queensland WNCL squad had to undergo late-night Covid tests when the first case of community transmission was announced in Brisbane. They all came back negative in time for the final on Saturday.

South Australia, who play Victoria in Melbourne in their final matches of the season, may be affected by the situation having recently completed a stay in Brisbane with the Victoria government having now declared the city a “red zone”. It is understood that all the teams who have recently been in Queensland have undergone regular testing.

Qualification and hosting rights for the Sheffield Shield final are also up for grabs in the final round matches which start on Saturday with a three-horse race between Queensland, New South Wales and Western Australia – the latter who face Tasmania in Perth.

Both Queensland and New South Wales have been able to make significant inclusions in their squads: Steven Smith will play the one-day game for the Blues, having recovered from an elbow injury, while legspinner Mitchell Swepson is available for Queensland in the Shield.

It will be Smith’s first match since mid-February and his last of the season – he will jump on a plane to India the next day along with the rest of the IPL-bound Australia players. 

Pat Cummins, the New South Wales one-day captain, is among those names along with David Warner, Moises Henriques, Josh Hazlewood and Daniel Sams who has been recalled in place of the injured Sean Abbott.

“The way we look at it is it’s always a bonus when we have the Aussie guys back in the group but the fact they are going [to the IPL] means we may get the chance to give other guys the opportunity to step up,” New South Wales coach Phil Jaques said.

“First port of call though is to make the final and to do that we need to try and win on Wednesday. Then we can prepare for a final which will be an exciting opportunity.”


Swepson, meanwhile, has recovered from the stress fracture of the C6 vertebrae in his neck which has sidelined him since the end of the BBL and had been expected to keep him out for the season.

In the first part of the Sheffield Shield he took 23 wickets in three matches including three five-wicket hauls. He was then recalled to the Australia side for the T20I series against India, was part of the Test bubble without playing and was included for the postponed South Africa tour shortly before his injury was confirmed.

Queensland Marsh Cup squad Usman Khawaja (capt), Xavier Bartlett, James Bazley, Max Bryant, Joe Burns, Brendan Doggett, Matthew Kuhnemann, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Jimmy Peirson, Matthew Renshaw, Billy Stanlake

Queensland Sheffield Shield squad Usman Khawaja (capt), Xavier Bartlett, Joe Burns, Brendan Doggett, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan McSweeney, Michael Neser, Jimmy Peirson, Matthew Renshaw, Billy Stanlake, Bryce Street, Mitchell Sweeps

New South Wales Marsh Cup squad Pat Cummins (capt), Oliver Davies, Ben Dwarshuis, Matthew Gilkes, Josh Hazlewood, Moises Henriques, Daniel Hughes, Nathan Lyon, Kurtis Patterson, Daniel Sams, Steven Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner

Andrew McGlashan is a deputy editor at ESPNcricinfo


©
ESPN Sports Media Ltd.






Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Cricket

SL vs Ind 2021 – Shikhar Dhawan to captain India on limited-overs tour of Sri Lanka

Published

on


News

Bhuvneshwar Kumar named vice-captain, Chetan Sakariya and Nitish Rana among new faces in the mix

Devdutt Padikkal, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Nitish Rana, K Gowtham and Chetan Sakariya have all received maiden call-ups to the national team, figuring in the 20-man India squad for the white-ball series in Sri Lanka, scheduled for July. The second-string squad – the main team will be in England at the time – will be captained by opening batter Shikhar Dhawan, who has never led India previously, and will also see the international comeback of fast bowler Bhuvneshwar Kumar, who has been appointed vice-captain.
India’s Sri Lanka tour comprises six matches: three ODIs (on July 13, 16 and 18), followed by three T20Is (July 21, 23, 25). Former India captain Rahul Dravid has been confirmed as the head coach, although the BCCI did not announce the coaching staff for the side on Thursday when it announced the squad, which will have five reserve bowlers.

Squad: Shikhar Dhawan (capt), Bhuvneshwar Kumar (vice-capt), Prithvi Shaw, Devdutt Padikkal, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Suryakumar Yadav, Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, Nitish Rana, Ishan Kishan (wk), Sanju Samson (wk), Yuzvendra Chahal, Rahul Chahar, K Gowtham, Krunal Pandya, Kuldeep Yadav, Varun Chakravarthy, Deepak Chahar, Navdeep Saini, Chetan Sakariya

Net bowlers: Ishan Porel, Sandeep Warrier, Arshdeep Singh, R Sai Kishore, Simarjeet Singh

More to follow…



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

County cricket 2021 – Kyle Jamieson signs for Surrey on short-term deal

Published

on


News

Fast bowler will head to Kia Oval at conclusion of the World Test Championship final

Kyle Jamieson, the New Zealand fast bowler, has signed a short-term deal for Surrey across formats, and will link up with the club at the conclusion of the World Test Championship final against India later this month.

Jamieson, who has been rested from the ongoing second Test against England after claiming three wickets in the opening match at Lord’s, will be available for the Vitality Blast London Derby against Middlesex at The Kia Oval on June 25, and will remain with the squad until their final group game in mid-July.

In that period, he will also be available for Surrey’s final two group games in the LV= Insurance County Championship, against Hampshire at The Ageas Bowl from July 4-7 and against Somerset at The Oval from July 11-14. This will be his first time playing in English domestic cricket.

“I’m really excited to get the chance to play some county cricket after the Black Caps tour,” Jamieson said. “Originally I didn’t think this opportunity would be possible with the schedule this year, but with how things have unfolded it’s great to be able to join Surrey and experience both T20 and first-class cricket.

“Playing county cricket is something I’ve always wanted to do in my career, so to have the chance to do so now is awesome. I’ve heard a lot of great things about county cricket, particularly T20 Blast nights at The Kia Oval, and can’t wait to take up the opportunity with Surrey to continue to learn and grow whilst trying my best to contribute to the teams’ success.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

The Hundred 2021 – David Warner, Marcus Stoinis and Sophie Devine pull out of the Hundred

Published

on


News

ECB bracing for further withdrawals amid clashes with international tours and restrictions on overseas travel

David Warner, Marcus Stoinis and Sophie Devine have pulled out of the inaugural season of the Hundred, with the ECB bracing for further withdrawals amid clashes with international tours and restrictions on overseas travel.

Warner and Stoinis were both contracted by the Southern Brave on deals worth £100,000 and £80,000 respectively, but have opted to withdraw from the competition. Both players have been named in Australia’s preliminary squad for white-ball tours to the Caribbean and Bangladesh, which overlap with the Hundred’s window from July 21-August 21, but are expected to withdraw in order to spend time with their families.

Trevor Hohns, Australia’s national selector, added six players to the preliminary squad for those tours following discussions with those initially named. “During the course of those discussions, it has become clear that recent experiences abroad, including but not limited to extended periods in bio-secure hubs and hard quarantine, have had an impact on the health and wellbeing of some players and their families,” he said.

“CA has maintained that the wellbeing of players, staff and officials is a top priority, and never more so than during the Covid-19 pandemic given the extraordinary challenges it has placed upon international athletes and sporting teams.”

“It is obviously disappointing to lose players with the ability of David and Marcus, but the realities of Covid mean there are practicalities that are difficult for some overseas players to overcome,” the ECB said in a statement to ESPNcricinfo. “Replacement overseas players will be signed by Southern Brave, and we look forward to the Hundred showcasing world-class cricket this summer.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending