Monaco Grand Prix organisers have insisted that the iconic Formula One race will go ahead this season, despite whispers that it would suffer a second cancellation in as many years.
Like the Australian Grand Prix last year, the Monaco edition was shelved due to COVID-19 as F1 decided to focus on ready-built circuits to fill the makeshift calendar, rather than temporary street circuits.
And with the Aus GP now being shifted from its traditional home as the season curtain raiser to a new November date, Monaco has now come under the spotlight.
A Dutch newspaper has claimed that Monaco, along with Azerbaijan and Canada, is in danger of being removed from the 2021 calendar as F1 again panics over the street races and the time it takes to build infrastructure for those events given the ongoing COVID pandemic.
Get all the latest F1 news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!
Monaco, Azerbaijan and Canada are currently scheduled as the fifth, sixth and seventh events of the season in late May and early June, meaning a major restructure of the 23-race season would be required.
But on Tuesday morning (AEDT), the Automobile Club de Monaco, which organises the F1 Grand Prix, as well as Formula E and Historic races, insisted that all events are still planned to go ahead.
“Despite the latest rumours circulating on certain websites and social media, the @ACM_Media can confirm the #MonacoGP will take place from May 20th to 23rd, 2021,” it said on Twitter.
“The ACM also confirms the #GrandPrixMonacoHistorique (April 23rd-25th 2021) and the #MonacoEPrix (May 8th 2021).”
An F1 spokesperson also dismissed the reports that the three races were in danger.
“We have set out the details of the revised 2021 calendar, and there are no other changes. The suggestion street races will not take place are completely wrong,” the F1 spokesperson said.