SAN DIEGO — The Los Angeles Angels have traded veteran infielder Zack Cozart to the San Francisco Giants to shave nearly $13 million off their 2020 payroll, a savings they could use toward their pursuit of free agents.
The Giants are paying the entirety of Cozart’s upcoming $12.67 million salary to essentially acquire middle infielder Will Wilson, the 15th overall pick in last year’s draft. Wilson, ranked fourth in the Angels’ system by MLB.com, batted .275/.328/.439 in 204 plate appearances at rookie-level Orem earlier this summer and is considered a high-floor prospect.
The Angels will receive a player to be named or cash considerations from the Giants.
The Angels signed Cozart to a three-year, $38 million contract coming off his All-Star season with the Cincinnati Reds in 2017. But a litany of shoulder issues limited him to 96 games and a .190 batting average these past two seasons. Angels general manager Billy Eppler said recently that Cozart is now fully recovered and on track for a normal spring training. But with David Fletcher, Tommy La Stella and Luis Rengifo already in-house options for third base and second base, Cozart was easily expendable.
The Angels previously shaved $13 million off their payroll by declining their 2020 club option on longtime right fielder Kole Calhoun. Wilson represents the third 2019 draft pick the Angels have parted ways with this offseason, yet another sign that they will do whatever it takes to win in 2020. A frontline starting pitcher such as Gerrit Cole is the clear target, but they have also been linked to prominent third basemen like Anthony Rendon and Josh Donaldson.
MVP plaque presenters will discuss Kenesaw Mountain Landis’ name on awards
NEW YORK — The baseball organization that presents the annual MVP awards will consider whether the name of former commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis should be pulled from future plaques.
“The issue is being addressed,” Jack O’Connell, longtime secretary-treasurer of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America, said Wednesday. “It will definitely be put up for discussion.”
Former NL most valuable players Barry Larkin, Mike Schmidt and Terry Pendleton this week told The Associated Press that they would favor removing Landis’ name because of concerns about his handling of Black players.
“I could not agree more,” writer and broadcaster Peter Gammons tweeted.
Meanwhile, a lively debate has popped up on social media about whose name should be on the plaque, if anyone’s at all. Among those being suggested are Hall of Famer Frank Robinson, the only player to win the MVP in both leagues, Negro Leagues star Josh Gibson and Brooklyn Dodgers owner Branch Rickey, who signed Jackie Robinson.
Landis was hired in 1920 as MLB’s first commissioner. No Black players played in the majors during his tenure, which ended with his death in late 1944. Robinson broke the color barrier in 1947, and Larry Doby followed later that season.
Landis’ legacy is “always a complicated story” that includes “documented racism,” official MLB historian John Thorn said.
Every AL and NL MVP plaque since Landis’ death has carried his name — in letters twice as big as those of the winner — and an imprint of his face. Landis gave the BBWAA control of picking and presenting the MVP award in 1931.
“We are trying to work out the mechanics of dealing with the topic amid a pandemic,” O’Connell said. “It will just be a matter of what form.
“It is safe to say that we would prefer to settle this matter before the winter meetings.”
The BBWAA’s next scheduled meeting is at the winter meetings in December in Dallas. The MVP winners are usually announced in November.
Landis’ name has been on the plaques for 75 years, but it is not pledged to remain there under the BBWAA constitution. A vote by the membership could lead to a redesign by the end of the coronavirus-pandemic-delayed, 60-game season set to start in three weeks.
“I don’t know that it needs a name,” Larkin said. “MVP says it all.”
Cardinals replace Yankees in Field of Dreams game against White Sox
NEW YORK — The St. Louis Cardinals have replaced the New York Yankees as the opponent for the Chicago White Sox in the Field of Dreams game on Aug. 13 at Dyersville, Iowa, a source confirmed to The Associated Press on Wednesday.
The schedule change caused by the coronavirus pandemic meant the White Sox no longer play the Yankees this season. The new opponent was first reported by The Des Moines Register.
Major League Baseball hopes to announce its new schedule next week. Each team will play 60 games, 40 against division rivals and 20 against teams in the corresponding regional division in the other league.
“We hope to have the option to play,” MLB said in a statement. “Construction is continuing and we are following all CDC and state protocols regarding recommended safety practices, including social distancing, washing hands, and temperature checks before arriving to the site.”
It remains unclear whether fans would be allowed at the game, which is to be televised nationally by Fox.
“We are monitoring ongoing events and plan to remain as flexible as these circumstances demand,” MLB said.
A temporary 8,000-seat stadium is nearing completion at the site, about 200 miles west of Chicago, adjacent to where the movie was filmed on a diamond in a cornfield. This would be the major league game played in Iowa.
The movie, released in 1989, starred Kevin Costner, Amy Madigan, James Earl Jones, Burt Lancaster and Ray Liotta.
Cubs pitching coach Tommy Hottovy details emotional fight against coronavirus
While fighting back tears, Chicago Cubs pitching coach Tommy Hottovy detailed his fight against the coronavirus, which sent him into home isolation for 30 days.
“I felt it was important for me to talk through what I went through because too much of what’s out there is the easy stories of what people go through with this,” the 38-year-old Hottovy said on the Zoom conference call Wednesday after composing himself. “If my journey through this helps one person realize how severe this can get, and that can save one life, then I want my story to be heard.”
Hottovy is unsure how he contracted the virus, saying he took all the usual suggested precautions like washing his hands often. Still, it was hard for him not to blame himself, feeling he put his wife and kids in harm’s way.
“I went through some really weird stages throughout the whole process,” Hottovy said. “Depression. Thinking that I did do something wrong. How could I put my family in that situation?”
Hottovy never had to spend a night in the hospital, but he did have a long day in one as he needed help with his breathing. At first, his symptoms came and went before his fever spiked.
“For 30 days, this virus, it was always worse at night,” Hottovy said. “I wouldn’t sleep from midnight to six in the morning. Then from 6-10, I’d get some sleep. Every night, I’d get up at 2 and my wife would still be cleaning. She had to bring me food and water every day.”
Based on the severity of his symptoms, Hottovy was asked whether he believes it is feasible for baseball or sports to play anytime soon.
“I do believe having sports is important,” Hottovy said. “At the same token, one little misstep, one little contact situation by one person, can derail an entire industry.”
As many in the game have already stated, Hottovy believes it can only be successful if everyone is pulling in the same direction.
“I want to do everything we can to bring baseball back to the fans,” Hottovy said. “We have to take care of ourselves and each other and hold each other accountable or it could easily get derailed.”
Hottovy said Cubs pitchers knew of his ailment early on, and he couldn’t always communicate to the best of his ability during Zoom calls as he’d be short of breath. But it’s those pitchers — and the rest of his team — that he wants to be there for. He contemplated opting out of the season but ultimately decided against it.
“There are still guys that don’t want to come anywhere near me,” Hottovy said with a chuckle. “Them (Cubs pitchers) living that kind of experience with me hit home a little bit. When you know someone that gets it, it hits home, when it’s significant. No one is immune.”
Hottovy said he lost a lot of weight, gets winded easily and is still recovering, saying he’s at about 80% right now. But he hopes the worst is behind him and is now telling an emotional, cautionary tale.
“It shows you how fresh it is for me and how I want to be here for these guys because they have questions,” Hottovy said. “Their families have questions. I do think it’s important for me and my family to be accessible to these guys.”
F1 2020, news, Austria Grand Prix: Formula One ultimate guide, Daniel Ricciardo, drivers, schedule, how to watch
Investors call on Nike, FedEx, PepsiCo to cut ties with Redskins over name
Football news, Barcelona, LaLiga, transfers, Antoine Griezmann, rumours, gossip, latest
Sheffield Shield returns to Kookaburra ball throughout
MVP plaque presenters will discuss Kenesaw Mountain Landis’ name on awards
Recent Match Report – Team Buttler vs Team Stokes Warm Up 2020
Pistons are transforming Detroit practice facility into voting site for 2020 elections
EPL, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Champions League, table, Bruno Fernandes, results, fixtures
F1 2020: Lewis Hamilton Mercedes contract demands stand between new deal
Premier League table: Latest standings as Chelsea and Leicester lose, Man Utd win
MLB1 day ago
Barry Bonds, Alex Bregman voted to ESPN’s greatest all-time college baseball team
Soccer6 days ago
FIFA Womens World Cup 2023: Australia, New Zealand, Colombia, England, Eddie McGuire, AFL 2020
Cricket17 hours ago
Leicestershire resume training on Wednesday despite second lockdown in Leicester
Soccer12 hours ago
Arsenal duo Aubameyang and Lacazette drop transfer hints in reaction to new Saka contract
Motorsport4 days ago
V8 Supercars, Sydney SuperSprint 2020: Scott McLaughlin sets Sydney Motorsport Park record, Eastern Creek
Soccer6 days ago
Arsenal identify Thomas Partey transfer alternative with £55m release clause
Soccer8 hours ago
Chelsea player ratings vs West Ham: Willian and Pulisic impress but ace anonymous in loss
Soccer7 days ago
Chelsea team news: Predicted 4-3-3 line up vs Man City – Lampard set to make five changes