Connect with us

Cricket

Sana Mir takes break from international cricket; to miss series against England next month

Published

on


Sana Mir, Pakistan women’s most-capped player, has taken a break from international cricket to “plan and reset my future objectives and targets”. A PCB statement said Mir would miss next month’s ODI and T20I series against England in Malaysia. Mir, or the PCB, did not specify her exact reason for the break or when she would be back in action.

“I have decided to take a break from international cricket and, as such, will not be available for selection for next month’s series against England. I will utilise this time to plan and reset my future objectives and targets,” Mir said in the release.

“My best wishes will remain with the Pakistan national women’s team in the series against England and I am sure they’ll produce their best cricket.”

A training camp of 20 probables will begin in Karachi on November 21 before the squads for the ODIs and T20Is are announced on November 27. The team will depart for Kuala Lumpur on November 30.

The ODIs, part of the ICC Women’s Championship, will be played on December 9, 12 and 14 before the T20Is on December 17, 19 and 20. All six games will be played at the Kinrara Oval.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Cricket

Into the unknown: Kemar Roach says England changes present pros and cons for West Indies

Published

on


Some key unknowns in the England side will pose fresh challenges for West Indies when their long-awaited Test series begins on Wednesday, Kemar Roach says.

Roach, who will again be crucial to West Indies’ vaunted pace attack when the sides open their three-match contest at the Ageas Bowl, believes the absence of captain Joe Root from England’s batting line-up leaves “some big shoes to fill” and that could work for – and against – the tourists.

ALSO READ: ‘I am bowling much better now than when I was bowling 145-150kph’

“A Test match without Root, the fantastic stats he has, is going to be a bit of an advantage for us,” Roach said via Zoom press conference on Sunday. “He’s one that keeps the England batting together, he’s done fantastically for them for the last couple of years.

“Without him it is a bit of an advantage for us, but also a little bit of a disadvantage because there’s some new guys coming in that we obviously have to work out and see what their weaknesses are and try to exploit them. So it goes 50-50, but once we get stuck in and hit our straps and put the balls in the right area I think we stand a very good chance of going out there and performing well.”

While Roach’s first-innings 5 for 17 decimated England and set up West Indies’ 381-run victory in the first Test in Barbados 18 months ago, he could potentially come up against just two of the same batsmen in England’s top six this time around in Rory Burns and Ben Stokes, who will stand in as captain while Root attends the birth of his second child.

Newcomers Dom Sibley, Zak Crawley and Ollie Pope are set to show their faces in Southampton along with Joe Denly, who played the second and third Tests of England’s Caribbean tour last year. Even among England’s reserves are two new names after Dan Lawrence and James Bracey impressed with the bat during last week’s intra-squad warm-up match.

But Roach acknowledged that England hosting presented different conditions, which would only be more unfamiliar with Covid-19 prevention measures including no crowds and the ban on using saliva to shine the ball. And he said Stokes as skipper added another layer of intrigue to the first Test.

“I’m a huge fan of Ben Stokes,” Roach said. “He’s a fantastic cricketer. He’s very energetic, brings a lot of energy to the field and a lot of confidence when he bats or when he bowls, so I’m expecting a very free and relaxed England team to come out there and express themselves because that’s the way he plays.

“It’s interesting to see him captain, obviously it’s the first time we’re going to see it, but I’m sure that with him at the head, they’re in good hands as well, so I wish him all the best.”

Roach was keen to see his skipper, Jason Holder, “battle” with Stokes as captains and allrounders – the pair are No. 1 and No. 2 respectively on the ICC’s Test allrounder rankings.

“It’s always good to have challenges, it’s always good to have battles, it brings out the best in you,” Roach added. “I hope he and Ben Stokes go at it in a couple of Test matches here. They’re both fantastic cricketers and I’m sure that once they’re battling it will be great cricket to watch.”

The touring camp have expressed concerns over their own batting line-up in recent days. A likely top five of Kraigg Brathwaite, John Campbell, Shamarh Brooks, Shai Hope and Roston Chase managed just 29 runs between them in West Indies’ second intra-squad warm-up match, a rain-affected four-day game at Emirates Old Trafford last week.

While Brathwaite, Hope and Brooks did manage fifties in the first tour game, they were unable to build on that in the second as West Indies’ first-choice pace attack of Roach, Shannon Gabriel, Holder and Alzarri Joseph reduced their side to 49 for 5 in their only innings.

Holder managed just seven runs, facing fewer than 30 deliveries in three warm-up innings, and he bowled only five overs across the intra-squad matches while nursing an ankle problem.

ALSO READ: WI batsmen ‘need to stand up and make a difference’ – Brooks

But Roach had every confidence that the bating unit – and Holder – would be set to go come Wednesday morning.

“They’re trying their best to get going in the series,” Roach said of the West Indies batsmen. “I think they’ve made some strides. They’ve had some discussions, I’ve been told, and I’m confident in the guys. Their work ethic has been spot on and they’ve done everything to put themseves in a good head space and perform in this series.

“I’m confident in them. I’m sure they can go out there and get the job done so I’ll just sit back and watch them bat. Hopefully someone can get a couple hundreds in this series and we can take it to the English.

“Jason is very important to us going out there. He had a niggle early in the camp, he’s been treating that and I think he’s ready and rearing to go now. I’m sure that he can come out here and get himself ready and mentally prepare to start on Wednesday so I’m not really too concerned about it.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

Quinton de Kock will wait for ‘serious cricket’ before hitting the nets

Published

on


Quinton de Kock, South Africa’s white-ball captain, has not hit a single ball in more than three months and only plans to return to the nets when “serious cricket,” is ready to resume, which he can’t see that happening “for a while.”

The game has not been on de Kock’s agenda since mid-March when he returned home from India with the ODI squad. Their trip was due to include three matches but after one game (which was rained out), the series was postponed as the Covid-19 pandemic took hold.

On March 16, CSA suspended all activities and two days later, when de Kock and the traveling party returned home, they were required to self-isolate for 14 days as South Africa went into lockdown. Although restrictions have eased since it came into effect on March 27, the stay-at-home order is into its 101st day and limitations on domestic travel still apply. Cricketers were given the green light to return to training on Monday last week but de Kock has yet to get going.

“I haven’t done anything,” he said after being named cricketer of the year at the CSA awards which were held virtually on Saturday. “Obviously I’ve kept up with fitness. I’ve done my training in the gym but I haven’t hit a ball yet. There’s still so much time until the next serious cricket game is going to happen. So to go back to serious training, I don’t know when it needs to happen. I mean, you can go back to hitting balls, for now. But we could actually be hitting balls for no reason. That’s where I feel I’m at.”

Though de Kock has taken what he described as a much-needed break, he will be required to turn out in less than two weeks’ time when a CSA exhibition game is scheduled. The event marks the launch of a new format called 3TC in which three teams will play in the same match and was originally scheduled to take place on June 27 but failure to obtain government permission led to its being pushed back to July 18.

De Kock is due to captain one of the teams with proceeds due to go into CSA’s hardship fund, which aims to assist those who livelihoods have been affected by lockdown. Only 24 players are involved in that event (eight per team) and CSA have also named a 45-man high performance squad, who were asked to return to training at their franchise grounds last Monday, but de Kock confirmed he has not done so yet.

“Because of the regulations, it’s hard to have such a big squad in a certain environment,” he said. “I’m based in a very remote place. There’s not much cricket around where I live. I’ve made sure my fitness is up to date. Practice almost becomes muscle memory. For me, at this point in my career, a break is more important than training.”

De Kock lives in Knysna, a town on South Africa’s Garden Route in the Western Cape. His franchise team, the Titans, is based in Centurion, which is almost 1200 km away and the nearest training facility to him would be St George’s Park in Port Elizabeth, which is 261 km away. But to get there, he would need to cross a into a new province, which is not easy right now.

So, de Kock decided to take some time off and address the wounds from South Africa’s toughest summer since readmission. “I’m sure other guys have trained, but I kind of needed a little bit of lockdown. I needed a break to spend time with myself, my family, friends. You know, do my own thing,” he said. “But as soon as we get the full go-ahead, when serious cricket is going to happen, then I’ll get back into it. I’m not too sure when it’s going to happen, but as soon as we get the go ahead then I’ll get back into it.”

Uncertainty over South Africa’s future tours program abounds as they await the ICC’s decision over the T20 World Cup and the rescheduling of their tour of the Caribbean. The two-Test, five-T20I series was due to start this month. But with West Indies in England until the end of July, CSA are in talks about alternative dates with nothing confirmed just yet, except for the fact that when the Tests do happen, de Kock will not be captaining the side.

“Me and Bouch had a very informal chat and I told him, look, I don’t know how I feel about being Test captain also. The reality is that’s just too much for me to handle. I know that and I realise that. I don’t need all that stress on myself,” de Kock said. “I could see from a mile away that I didn’t need that on top of my shoulders. I’m wanting to come up the order in Test cricket and so I don’t need all that extra pressure.”

South Africa have long used de Kock at No.6 or lower despite several calls from former players, including Ashwell Prince, for him to bat higher and it seems that may be on the cards. But for that to happen, South Africa needs to get over the peak of the pandemic, which experts suggest is still several weeks away. “It’s going to be tough to play professional games,” de Kock said. “We’re going to have so many regulations. Realistically, I don’t foresee cricket being played for a while.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

BCCI ethics officer receives conflict of interest complaint against Virat Kohli

Published

on


A conflict of interest complaint has been filed against Virat Kohli for his positions in two business ventures.

Complainant Sanjeev Gupta, a life member of the Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association, wrote an email to BCCI ethics officer-cum-ombudsman Justice (retd) DK Jain and a number of BCCI executives, including president Sourav Ganguly and CEO Rahul Johri, arguing that Kohli’s various posts were in violation of the BCCI constitution. In his complaint filed on July 4, Gupta said that Kohli’s co-directors at Virat Kohli Sports (LLP) and Cornerstone Venture Partners (LLP) were also directors in Cornerstone Sport and Entertainment Private Limited, a talent agency that contracts Indian cricketers and handles their branding and commercial interests.

“Shri Virat Kohli is occupying two posts at a time in blatant violation to BCCI Rule 38 (4) approved by Supreme Court Of India. As such, he must relinquish his one post at once in compliance. His two posts are covered as under: A – 38(4)(a) – Player and B – 38(4)(o) – Contractual Entity, to be read with BCCI Rule 38(1) (iii),” Gupta’s complaint said.

Rule 38(4) of the BCCI constitution prevents individuals from holding more than one of 16 posts: player (current), selector/member of cricket committee, team official, commentator, match official, administrator/office bearer, electoral officer, ombudsman & ethics officer, auditor, any person who is governance, management or employee of a franchisee, member of a standing committee, CEO & managers, office Bearer of a Member (state association), service provider (legal, financial etc.), contractual entity (broadcast, security, contractor etc.) and owner of cricket academy.

Gupta had previously filed conflict of interest complaints against Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman and also Rahul Dravid. In each of those instances, the ethics officer had served notices based on the complaints, but the former cricketers were eventually cleared on each occasion.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending