Connect with us

Cricket

Jason Gillespie extends contract as Sussex coach

Published

on


Jason Gillespie will remain as Sussex head coach at least until the end of the 2022 season, after agreeing a contract extension.

Gillespie, who won the County Championship with Yorkshire in consecutive seasons in 2014 and 2015, moved to Hove at the start of the 2018 season but has so far been unable to oversee the side’s return to Division One.

However, Sussex have enjoyed more success in one-day cricket, reaching the knockout stages of the Vitality Blast in both of his seasons in charge, including to the final in 2018.

His stature as a coach, including his links to the BBL franchise Adelaide Strikers, has also been helpful in attracting a high calibre of overseas players, including Alex Carey, Mir Hamza, Travis Head, Rashid Khan and Ishant Sharma.

“I’m absolutely delighted to extend my time at Sussex,” said Gillespie. “I absolutely love the place and everyone at the club has been fantastic since I joined.

“I really feel we’re moving in the right direction, which is really pleasing. I can’t fault the efforts of all our players and coaches. We’re all on the same page; everyone wants what’s best for the club, and I feel we’re progressing in reaching those aims.

“We’ve had some really good times together, and we’ve had some challenging times, but we’re all clear about what we’re setting out to achieve and focussed on improving and developing to keep us moving forward.

“That’s a pretty special thing to be part of. I want to thank the club for the opportunity to carry on being part of that and for showing faith in me. I’m determined to repay that faith by keeping things moving in the right direction and hopefully having some success down the track.”

Rob Andrew, Sussex Cricket’s chief executive added: “We are delighted to announce that Dizzy [Gillespie] has extended his contract through to 2022. There is going to be a lot of change in cricket over the next couple of years and we wanted some continuity through this period.

“We still have a lot of work to do to improve the men’s side and we were disappointed not to achieve promotion to division one of the County Championship this season. It is where the club aspires to be.

“We have been more consistent in our performances in T20 and 50-over cricket in the last couple of years but need to find that consistency in Championship cricket as well. Dizzy and his coaching team will be working hard to move the club forward and we are delighted he has chosen to help us on this journey.”

Meanwhile, Reece Topley has left Sussex after turning down a “long-term contract offer” and deciding “that his future lies elsewhere”, the club said in a statement on their website.

Topley, who played 10 ODIs and six T20Is for England between 2015 and 2016, joined Sussex after leaving Hampshire in 2018 following back surgery.

“As a free agent and following back surgery, the 25-year-old was helped back to fitness by Sussex’s medical and coaching staff earlier this year before joining the county for the remainder of the 2019 season in July,” the statement said.

“Sussex Cricket is disappointed not to have been able to convince Reece to re-sign for the club. Nevertheless, we would like to thank him for his contributions to the team during the season and to wish him well at his new club.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Cricket

No answer to India-Pakistan bilateral ties resumption – Ganguly

Published

on


Sourav Ganguly, who will take charge as BCCI’s next president on October 23, has said that resumption of bilateral cricket with Pakistan is subject to the permission of the Indian government. Ganguly said that the decision could only be taken by the prime ministers of the two countries: Narendra Modi and Imran Khan, who also happens to be the patron of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

“You have to ask that question to Modi ji and the Pakistan Prime Minister,” Ganguly said at a media briefing in Kolkata on Tuesday. “Of course we have (to take permission), because international exposure (tours) is all through governments. So we don’t have an answer to that question.”

Ganguly had led India on the historic tour of Pakistan in 2004, the first bilateral series since the Kargil war in 1999 and India’s first visit to Pakistan since 1989.

The last time both neighbours featured in a bilateral series was in late 2012, when India hosted Pakistan for a limited-overs series comprising two T20Is and three ODIs.

In February, the BCCI asked the ICC in an e-mail letter “to sever ties with countries from which terrorism emanates”. That letter was sent at the behest of the three-member Committee of Administrators (CoA), which was appointed as the supervisory authority of the board till fresh elections were held. The previous day the CoA had mulled over asking the ICC to boycott Pakistan from the World Cup.

At the time the BCCI and CoA were reacting to the terror strikes in Pulwama in the northern Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir in which more than 40 paramilitary troops were killed.



Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

James Pamment takes over as USA interim coach | Cricket

Published

on








Coach James Pamment goes through a fielding drill during pre-game warm-ups © Peter Della Penna


James Pamment, the 51-year-old former Auckland batsman, has taken the role of USA head coach on an interim basis through to the end of 2019. This comes after the contracts of USA director of cricket Kiran More and a string of other assistant coaches were not renewed following an initial three-month period. Pamment’s appointment had been rumoured since the start of the month but has since been confirmed to ESPNcricinfo by multiple USA Cricket sources.

More had been appointed in July by USA Cricket to oversee their quest to qualify for the 2020 T20 World Cup in Australia, serving as a “senior operations consultant” according to a USA Cricket press release. But his arrival sparked a power struggle with USA head coach Pubudu Dassanayake, who had been in place since September 2016 and had led USA to ODI status in April at WCL Division Two. After mounting tension at a USA squad camp at Los Angeles in June, Dassanayake resigned, citing a “loss of freedom” in selection decisions.

More did not to travel with the USA squad to Bermuda in August for the Americas Regional Final for the T20 World Cup Qualifier. Sunil Joshi was notified by email after the team arrived on tour that he would be the stand-in head coach in More’s place. Though USA headed into the four-team event as favourites after winning the sub-regional qualifier over Canada in North Carolina in September 2018, the team finished third after losing all four of their matches to Canada and Bermuda, who wound up advancing instead of USA to the T20 World Cup Qualifier in the UAE.

A tentative plan had been discussed to extend More’s consultant contract through to the 2020 T20 World Cup had USA qualified, but once they failed in Bermuda, that became a non-starter. He oversaw USA’s ODI tri-series performances in Florida last month, where they went 3-1 in their opening round of Cricket World Cup League Two matches against Namibia and Papua New Guinea. Those were his last matches in charge. David Saker had left as fast bowling consultant coach to go back to Australia immediately after the Bermuda tour while batting consultant coaches Pravin Amre and Kieran Powell were not present in Bermuda nor Florida.

Pamment had initially been contracted as fielding coach for USA when More came on board. However, he has been asked to remain to help oversee a transition period for USA’s next two tours – the CWI Super50 in Trinidad next month and a CWC League Two ODI tri-series against UAE and Scotland in Dubai in December – until a full-time appointment can be made in January 2020. Pamment is not expected to apply for the full-time role because, like More, he has a multi-year contract with Mumbai Indians in the IPL, having replaced Jonty Rhodes as their fielding coach in 2018.

USA Cricket is seeking a full-time commitment after the failed strategy of hiring short-term consultants to replace Dassanayake for T20 World Cup Qualifier.

Originally from Yorkshire, Pamment migrated to New Zealand early in his career and played 14 first-class and 33 List A games from 1993 to 1996. Aside from his stint with Mumbai Indians in the IPL, Pamment previously coached Northern Districts in New Zealand from 2013 to 2017.

Peter Della Penna is ESPNcricinfo’s USA correspondent @PeterDellaPenna


©
ESPN Sports Media Ltd.






Source link

Continue Reading

Cricket

UAE duo ‘stood to make US$272,000’ in successful fix

Published

on


The two UAE players provisionally suspended for alleged breaches of the ICC anti-corruption code stood to make up to US$272,000 (approx.) if they successfully corrupted the games in the upcoming T20 World Cup qualifiers.

ESPNcricinfo understands that the players had been engaged in talks to carry out fixes – ranging from a session to a result – in three of the matches in the qualifiers, which begins on Friday with the UAE playing in the day’s second fixture in Abu Dhabi.

ALSO READ – Betting in Associate and T20 leagues: Under the radar, over the top

The operations that have led to provisional suspensions of captain Mohammad Naveed and senior pro Shaiman Anwar was so planned that, it is understood, the players had contracts drawn up for the amounts that would be paid depending on the nature of the fix.

It is understood that investigations by the ICC’s ACU revealed that both Naveed and Anwar had been engaged by corruptors to fix the results and or session(s) in those three matches; the amounts involved were on a sliding scale of up to around US$272,000.

The ACU had been monitoring the players in question since the UAE’s tour of Zimbabwe in April this year. Among others being surveilled was Mehardeep Chhayakar, an alleged corruptor, originally from India, who has been involved with cricket in Ajman and is apparently known in gambling circles as “Gary”.

It was during that series in April, played in Harare, that Chhayakar is believed to have attempted to induce Qadeer Ahmed, the third UAE cricketer to be provisionally suspended along with Naveed and Anwar, into fixing in one of the matches.

Chhayakar, along with three other Indian men – all alleged corruptors – were detained by local police in Harare on corruption allegations at the time but released later. The ACU continued to keep a close eye on the movements of the four.

On October 6, the ACU brought in five persons for questioning, including the players charged today. It is understood that the ACU has kept the local police in the UAE informed about the developments.

The ACU handed the charges in person to Naveed and Anwar earlier on Wednesday; Qadeer is currently away in Pakistan while Chhayakar’s whereabouts are unknown.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending